Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Sudden BSOD tied to Intel HD Graphics (630)

JDavi35
Beginner

Yesterday I woke up to multiple BSODs and after running WhoCrashed, determined it was a result of the Intel HD Graphic drivers. I tried multiple solutions including reinstalling nVidia (have a 1080 Ti as main gpu) and the Intel Graphics Drivers (both most recent directly from each providers site). After no luck, I tried a fresh Windows install with the current drivers and still received the errors. I then tried using the most current Intel Graphics Drivers listed on the motherboard manufacturers site (Asus) which was from 2017 and so far in 8 hours (overnight) have not had a BSOD or any errors, though I'm not confident I'm out of the woods. Any ideas, seems really odd that this came out of nowhere and the only solution was to use the older Intel drivers:

Most recent Whocrashed report:

On Wed 1/16/2019 12:25:06 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011619-9796-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B1B40)

Bugcheck code: 0x1000009F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFC98F2BE9C040, 0xFFFFF8062DC68C50)

Error: CUSTOM_ERROR

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 1/16/2019 12:25:06 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

This was probably caused by the following module: igdkmd64.sys (igdkmd64+0x3BB7F7)

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFC98F2BE9C040, 0xFFFFF8062DC68C50)

Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_b99c0edf4a599f95\igdkmd64.sys

product: Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows(R)

company: Intel Corporation

description: Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. The power state transition timed out waiting to synchronize with the PnP subsystem.

This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igdkmd64.sys (Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver, Intel Corporation).

Google query: igdkmd64.sys Intel Corporation DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Additional errors which I'm sure were tied this as they preceded the BSOD:

application MsMpEnge.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

Any thoughts? Can provide any report/log needed. Really want to resolve this and rule out hardware.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not saying that it is the reason for these crashes (though it very well could be), but you should not be using generic drivers downloaded from the Intel/NVIDIA/AMD sites on a system that utilizes multiple graphics engines. In most cases - and especially in laptop designs - these drivers have been modified by the manufacturer to support special features - backlighting, focus, dimming etc. and especially switching between solutions. Using the generic drivers can leave you with these features not working (or not working properly) and could result in other interoperability issues. I know that this can be an issue, because the release of updated drivers by the vendors often (always?) lags behind the availability of the generic versions (and sometimes by a considerable amount of time). This, unfortunately, is between you and your system vendor. If your vendor is not being responsive, well, let them know about it. If this behavior continues, well, maybe you should be eliminating that vendor from your future purchasing plans...

...S

0 Kudos
JDavi35
Beginner

what system vendor are you talking about? they were the official nVidia and intel drivers. its a custom built pc, not a name brand (dell, etc). generic drivers? what is that?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

By 'generic' drivers, I refer to the drivers released by the graphics solution manufacturers - Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, etc. - which have NOT been modified for a particular platform by a system manufacturer.

I presumed that we were talking about a laptop, since you appeared to have multiple graphics solutions enabled. In standard desktop designs, when a graphics card is inserted into the motherboard, the BIOS will, by default, completely disable the Intel HD Graphics subsystem. In this case, you wouldn't be installing the Intel HD Graphics driver at all.

...S

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello JDavi35, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. The information provided by Scott is correct, the BSOD is most likely related to another component, when the discrete video card is installed it is selected as the card in use by default while the integrated graphics get disabled. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JDavi35
Beginner
That's incorrect it was a driver issue, specifically the Intel HD 630 driver. I reverted to the older one from the Asus site and have not had an issue since. Will not upgrade till Asus confirms the new drivers work. On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, 7:55 PM Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com wrote:
0 Kudos