Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Sudden freeze and crash while playing certain games - Core i5 11600k integrated GPU

Novice

Hello, I have been experiencing crashes with my Core i5 11600k integrated GPU. After installing a new GPU (Nvidia 3060 ti) these crashes started involving a total reboot after a freeze without showing a BSOD

Moments before the crash, in the middle of a game, my screen would freeze for a few seconds. If any sounds are playing, they will continue to play, and even voice chat would function for some time. Then, all applications would crash. Even night light (Windows 10 and 11) would be turned off, if it was turned on before.

Now, after having installed the new dedicated GPU (the 3060 ti), instead of closing all apps, the whole PC would restart. Since I have been experiencing these types of crashes before I got the 3060 ti, it is unlikely, that the issue relates to that new GPU.

Windows issues can also be ruled out, since I have reinstalled windows several times now and switched between windows 11 and windows 10 to check whether instability in new updates caused this. 

I also used different monitors to be sure that they aren't causing any of this.

DMP files on windows refer to a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Update your motherboard bios.

Check your memory.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

Novice

Thanks for your reply, AlHill.

I did update my MSI BIOS to the latest version, the issue hasn't been resolved

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Configure your BIOS so that the enablement of the iGFX engine is controlled Automatically (i.e., set to its AUTO setting). This will cause the iGFX engine to be automatically disabled when the dGFX engine is detected as present, but will automatically enable it when you power on without a dGFX card installed.

I have to agree with Al, a check of your memory with an app like MemTest86 sounds prudent.

...S

Khalilbel
Novice
0 Kudos
Novice

Thanks for your reply, n_scott_pearson.

I didn't find the exact settings you directed me to configure, But what I did check was "Initiate Graphic Adapter", which had the two options "PEG" and "IGD". Default was PEG and I think that it was the correct choice. So I left it as it was. (MSI BIOS, latest version: 7C75vAC)

I also ran MemTest86 for more than 2 hours and no errors were detected in any of the tests

Although it didn't work, thanks for helping!

0 Kudos