Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Support for YCbCr 422 color format on Arc graphics

Siyy123
Beginner
Can I enable YCbCr 422 on Arc graphics? If so, where?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Unfortunately not via DP, unless it's a native HDMI port then you can toggle colorspace options in the IGCC.

The Arc A770 LE card for example does not have a native HDMI port however (it's converted from DP 2.0) so those options are locked out.

Otherwise you might be able to get it to auto switch by enabling HDR, but it's nothing we have any control over yet (if ever).

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

The official Intel statement is this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087657/graphics.html

No YCbCr 4:2:2 at all.

Although the article was last reviewed by Intel 11/16/2022 I think it is time for an update answering the following questions:

1. What exactly is a native HDMI connection?
  2. Referring to the UHD630 in combination with the LSPCON MCDP2800 soldered on board I can confirm that this HDMI connection (HDMI 2.0a) is treated as "native" and the options for Color Depth and Color Format settings are available and functional. Is this meant by "native"? An HDMI connector visible for the user to plug in an HDMI cable (HDMI <> HDMI).
  3. Intel NUC11TNKv7 (Tiger Lake-UP3 - GT2) has two HDMI ports specified as HDMI 2.0b but the options for Color Depth and Color Format are only available at port #2 but not working there. This can even be problematic for the user, because no HDMI Resync takes place when 10 bpc/12 bpc is selected, but the settings are not automatically reverted to the last working ones. Without a remote desktop connection one can no longer operate the device, since screen remains empty. This persists also a restart. I investigated this here. Is the problem fixed now within the driver? I didn't test up to the latest driver version because I now use a converter cable Thunderbolt > HDMI 2.1 which works very well.
  4. The Intel Arc DG2/Alchemist architecture provides native HDMI 2.0b. Are the features in linked article available and functional here?
  5. Intel's own Arc Limited Edition is featuring HDMI 2.1. This is done using a protocol converter chip (Realtek RTD2173) soldered on graphics board as investigated here. Is this also treated as "native" HDMI? Can someone confirm the features in linked article available and functional here?
  6. Does Intel have any objections to making the definition of Color Depth and Color Format available for all connection types as is the case with AMD and Nvidia products? I am aware that many setting options also open up the potential for incorrect operation and that the Intel graphics driver always outputs the maximum format reported by the display via EDID. But a safe expert mode for advanced users would not hurt here for compatibility reasons. For the absolute expert who dares to experiment, there is that too. This tool creates software EDID overrides in the Windows registry. So graphics adapters can be forced to specific resolutions and other parameters (possibly even YCbCr 4:2:2).
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@MUC wrote:

1. The Intel Arc DG2/Alchemist architecture provides native HDMI 2.0b. Are the features in linked article available and functional here?
  2. Intel's own Arc Limited Edition is featuring HDMI 2.1. This is done using a protocol converter chip (Realtek RTD2173) soldered on graphics board as investigated here. Is this also treated as "native" HDMI? Can someone confirm the features in linked article available and functional here?

No manual colorspace adjustments are possible on the PCON HDMI 2.1 port of the Arc A770 LE unfortunately:

https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/179

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

I can confirm the findings in the issue tracker. On my NUC11TNKv7 (Iris Xe) with the converter cable Thunderbolt > HDMI 2.1 Fixed Rate Link (FRL) 10 bpc is only achieved with HDR.

The "old" UHD630, however, operating via LSPCON MCDP2800 to provide HDMI 2.0a can do 12 bpc without HDR.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Indeed, and either way we still can't get YCbCr 422 to select, just either 420, 444 or RGB (on a native or faked native HDMI connection):

Screenshot 2023-01-22 103914.png

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Siyy123,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities.  

I am sorry to hear that you are having color format issues with your Intel® Arc™ Graphics.

The information provided by @powerarmour and @MUC is correct, thank you for that.

Also, please answer the questions below for a better understanding based on your graphics card model:

• Are you using Intel® Graphics Command Center to change the color format?
  • What port are you using to connect the display?
  • What is the graphics card model?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Siyy123,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Siyy123,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P.  

0 Kudos