Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Supported resolutions of Intel UHD 630

daniel_scholz
Novice

I use the following notebook:

DELL XPS 15 7590 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU

The CPU contains the Intel UHD 630 GPU

I use also an external display (LG 34WK95U) which supports a maximum resolution of 5120x2160

Up to the Intel UHD 630 driver version 27.20.100.9664 it was possible to to use this maximum resolution on the external display via the Thunderbold 3 port. Starting from the mentioned driver version the maximum available resolution is only 3840x2160.

I'm aware that the official specification of the i9-9980HK CPU states only a support of 4096 x 2304. But I used the stated configuration more than a year with the full resolution 5120x2160.

Additionally I have a business notebook Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10310U CPU. The offical specification states here also a support of 4096 x 2304. But currently I can use the maximum resolution of the external display (5120x2160).

So I want to know why the resolution is now restricted for the first notebook and not for the second notebook if the specifications state the same maximum resolution.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello daniel_scholz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. 

Please take into consideration that we cannot ensure the proper functioning of the components of the system if they are being used out of specifications, our recommendation is to contact your system manufacturer and check if they have made any restrictions or modifications to your system in order to support higher resolutions than the ones specified in our webpage. 

Since now the maximum resolution available is lower than the one specified on our website, please share with us the following information: 

1. Model of the second notebook.
  2. Refresh rate you are using. 
  3. Have you tried using the drivers provided by Dell?
  4. Have you reported this issue to your system manufacturer?

Also please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
daniel_scholz
Novice

Hello Josue,

thanks for your quick reply. Please see my answers below:

1. HP EliteBook 840 G7 mit Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10310U
  2. Dell notebook: 60Hz (the behavior is the same with 30Hz)
    HP notebook: 30Hz
  3. I use exclusivly the drivers provided by Dell
  4. Yes, I reported this issue to Dell. But they referred to Intel in that matter, as they suspect that changes regarding the resolution are included in the latest driver.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Roland_87
New Contributor I

Hey Daniel, I'm not sure why this happens. But it may have something to do with Chroma Subsampling to reduce bandwidth:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling 

0 Kudos
daniel_scholz
Novice

Hi Roland, thanks for your reply but it's a computer display not a TV display.

JosueO_Intel

Hello daniel_scholz,

Please try using the older driver version from Dell and check if the issue persists. Also, if you want, you can test our drivers, the latest version that we have is 30.0.100.9955, you can download it at the attached link. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

The difference between this driver and the ones provided by Dell is that your OEM provides a customized and optimized version of the driver in order for it to work with your specific system, while the Intel drivers are generic and intended to work with all systems regardless of the brand. 

Please take into consideration that using the components out of specifications could harm the system and malfunctioning could be caused by this. 

In case the older version from de driver provided by Dell works without any issues, we recommend you report this to them since they are the ones that customize the driver and its limitations with your system. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
daniel_scholz
Novice

Hello Josue,

thanks for your help.

Unfortunately it is not possible to install the older driver version. Windows updates the driver with the most current (Dell) version immediately after the installation of the old one.

I tried also to use the most current Intel version (30.0.100.9955). But without any changes or improvements regarding to my problem.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello daniel_scholz,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos