Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Surface Pro 7 i3 slow to load color profile

HeyCori
Beginner

After waking up the device and logging in, I can see the colors shift (go from one tone to another). To me it appears that some sort of color profile is loading slow. It doesn't happen if I boot into UEFI. It also doesn't happen if I remove the Intel drivers and revert to the basic Microsoft display drivers. Does anyone have any tips for how I can get the color profile to stay loaded?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Just curious - Why are you using anything other than UEFI? I am surprised Microsoft's bios even allows that.

You need to contact Microsoft regarding this.

Doc

0 Kudos
HeyCori
Beginner

I'm not sure what you mean when you say using something other than UEFI. I can get into the settings page (hold volume up during startup) but I didn't change anything. I just wanted to see if the color issue still happens there. I could try calling MS support, but as stated, removing Intel's drivers also fixes the problems. I tried updating to a different Intel driver but the same problem occurred. I was hoping to learn more about what's going on and why this is happening with Intel's drivers before I continue shooting in the dark.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should use only the drivers from Microsoft, and not the Intel generic driver.

You also said " It doesn't happen if I boot into UEFI."

It is likely that Microsoft has modified the drivers to support their hardware.

You need to contact Microsoft regarding their laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
HeyCori
Beginner

The current driver is 25.20.100.7101. That's the driver that's default with the system. I only briefly loaded the Microsoft basic display driver (that's the default driver if you uninstall 25.20.100.7101) to see if the problems persisted. It did not. I then defaulted everything back to the original state.

Just to verify, Intel can provide no information regarding driver 25.20.100.7101, correct?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Here is a list of the DCH drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29195/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?v=t

You will notice that 7101 is not in the list, which is why you must contact Microsoft.

Now, if you want, and at your own risk, you can try installing the latest DCH driver. If it fails with the .exe, you can try the .zip and use the "have disk" method.

If you do get the latest DCH driver to install, and it does not correct your problem, it still does not mean it is an intel driver issue (which is why you need to consult with Microsoft).

Doc

0 Kudos
HeyCori
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad to help. Report back with your findings.

Doc

0 Kudos
HeyCori
Beginner

So this is about the closes thing I could find to a "solution". I reset my Surface (again). Maybe that step wasn't necessary but I wanted to eliminate any other possible causes. As expected, the problem persisted so I went to get the SP7 drivers and firmware from Microsoft's website only to discover there are now two msi packages. 

There's 18362_19.101.10815.0. and 17763_19.104.44031.0. Before, only 18362 was available so 17763 must have been added recently. Since I already tried 18362, I installed 17763. Did that fix the problem... no! Buuuuut… 

I calibrated my display and now when I restart/wake from sleep, my color profile stays loaded. No more awkward color switching. I couldn't even do that using 18362. Unfortunately, 17763 has some minor problems. 

For starters, Windows Hello isn't as fast or accurate as before. The other issue I've noticed is if I move my brightness slider to zero, the screen will shoot up to max brightness for a few seconds and then adjust properly. Both are things I can live with, since my brightness usually isn't at zero anyway. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Build 18362 is version 1903, which came out in May 2019.

Build 17763 is version 1809, which came out in Nov 2018

And, 18363 is version 1909, which just came out Tuesday.

You still have a Microsoft issue (in my opinion).

But, as long as you are ok with the colour and performance, good.

Doc

0 Kudos
HeyCori
Beginner

The SP7 comes with 1903 but I was still having the color issue. Upgrading to 1909 didn't help. I could try downgrading to 1903 again and installing 17763 but that seems like so much work with very little to gain. Especially since I'm pretty satisfied with the colors. I'm probably better off waiting until the next big cumulative update(s) for some newer drivers/firmware.

0 Kudos