Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

There is a case where Intel HD Graphics 630 can cause a eternal frozen/black screen with cursor that disappears and then random deformed "QR-Code". Can anybody tell me to get rid of it permamently or temporarily?

idata
Employee

Hey Discussion E here. Please help me. I had a rare bad case yesterday; What began: I insta-Chromed and then the computer froze. Got stuck for many hours trying to fix the permament frozen/black screen.

Here's my laptop's (simple) specifications:

Acer Aspire VX15

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 GHz

both GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Does it has to do too with BSOD?)

RAM: 16GB DDR4

Display: 1920x1080 Full HD

Software: Windows 10 Home

It has HDD and SSD as well.

Predictable user questions and my answer:

Q: How it happened?

A: Easy, I just ran computer for 3 hours(?) and then restarted, logged in automatically and insta-Chrome. Next it was a frozen display. Even mouse and keyboard wasn't reacting except power button.

Q: Did YOU UPDATE DRIVERS SMH?

A: I updated firstly my computer with newest Windows version, GPU and then at 18:50 almost all drivers . With latest version. Is enough actually. Updated for example system devices.

Q: Uninstall...

A: Uninstalled the GPU and some apps. Computer auto-installed GPU. I thought it worked and then restarted the computer. Got same black screen with cursors and weird "QR-code" as usual.

Q: Can you reach the start without freezing/black screen?

A: Only if Intel HD Graphics 630 is deactivated/deinstalled after going safe mode. But I must tell you; My computer freezes ONLY if I log in. There was no freeze before log-in.

Q: What happens if you reactivate Intel HD Graphics 630 after the safe mode?

A: Everything looks fine and fast until you restart and you get same frozen/black screen with cursor and weird "QR-code".

Q: What could be the cause of it?

A: Highly likely watchdog.sys, ntoskrnl.exe and dxgmms2.sys as it is marked as red by my program "BlueScreenViewer". However, program BlueScreenViewer considers that driver "watchdog.sys" is the cause of BSOD (=blue screen of death or similar).

Q: Is NVIDIA the your gpu is cause too?

A: If I remember correctly, this GPU is secondary to Intel HD Graphics 630, so that means, it helps Intel HD Graphics 630. But Intel HD Graphics does the display, and the BSOD is caused by Intel HD Graphics 630, so that means GeForce GTX 1050 Ti either way may or may not be partipicated in the problem.

Q: Bug code?

A: Bug code and name is: 0x0000010e and it basically means: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL.

Q: There are solutions provided by others...

A: Too bad I can't take battery out since it's INSIDE of computer instead of being in a tray. And some solutions are for desktops rather than laptops...

Q: Is there anything weird?

A: "Blue Screen of Death" not actually showing up in many cases even though it is dumped in 100% cases. Basically, BSOD graphics got replaced by a non-frozen black screen with cursor and a weird "QR-code" as usual.

Q: Can you show me the minidump and possibly photo?

A: I can. Files in the down here. Photo will show the actual weird "QR-code" thing and a cursor if you ask me.

So that's all what I saved you a few questions.

However, this laptop is like others expensive; I don't want it happen again unless I delete accidentally.

So the ONLY question is: How to fix it permamently or temporarily?

I would be only happy to hear the solutions that ACTUALLY work.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello E1466

Thank you for joining the community.

In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:

1- Run the utility.

2- Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.

3- Once the scan is complete click on "next".

4- Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.

5- To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I ran SSU.exe and did the "Scan" and then saved a file. Here's file down.

Regards, E1466

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello E1466

Thank you for your response.

I am noticing that in this case that you have updated the operating system to RS4 (1803), I will like to verify when did the issue start on your system?

Looking into the error of BSOD seems that you may be facing a driver incompatibility or a hardware problem, have you test other driver versions for the controller? If yes let me know the versions

You can try the generic driver for the Intel® HD graphics 630. please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27803/a08/win64_24.20.100.6094.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27803/a08/win64_24.20.100.6094.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
  15. And let me know if you have any issues with the installation.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Leonardo C. ,

the problem started on 25. May 2018 at 18:50, before I updated the computer with newest update. I installed today Intel HD Graphics 630 with generic driver provided and rebooted. After log-in computer lasted for 10 seconds and then froze. I restarted again and I used CRTL+ALT+DEL after log-in and then it froze with blackscreen. So I had to update all drivers in the computer and all of them are with latest version now. It's really weird that problem persists even with latest version.

Regards, E1466

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello E1466

I would like you to try a clean installation of the graphics driver, please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver first:

1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver and NVIDIA® graphics driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device. Do not restart the system yet.
  6. Right-click the NVIDIA® graphics driver and select Uninstall.
  7. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device
  8. Reboot the system.
  9. After the computer restart, go back to step 1 and repeat the steps until you get the Microsoft basic display adapter, under display adapter section in the device manager.

When those steps are completed install de graphics drivers on your system, first install the Intel driver and then the NVIDIA driver provided by the manufacturer.

Intel® driver:

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_21.20.16.4526_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636179017099053290 https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_21.20.16.4526_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636179017099053290

NVIDIA® driver

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_NVIDIA_21.21.13.7654_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636328336811301791 https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_NVIDIA_21.21.13.7654_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636328336811301791

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Leonardo,

sorry for one day delay but it seems that despite the clean install I still get freeze or blank screen with enlarged cursor and deformed QR code so I figured out my computer was overheated.

It seems that my iGPU was damaged by overheating so that's how I get freezes or BSOD. Even though if iGPU was damaged by overheating would cause deformed display it actually damaged some component that doesn't affect (or has very little effect) the 3D/2D or rendering or more, but it still causes watchdog.sys to go crazy and turns off iGPU deliberately and produce BSOD from my thought.

So today real cause was overheating 😕 and I guess I should bring it later to trusted Acer repair shop...

Anyway, thanks for support and help!

Regards, E1466

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello E1466

I am sorry that the steps provided did not help to solve the issue, given the information that this could be a hardware problem as you mentioned is better to contact the system manufacturer.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos