Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Throttling out of the box

Jamie3
Beginner

I've just installed the Arc 770 LE, with latest drivers on Intel's website and found the card hitting 90C in the performance overlay, throttling back below 190W, whilst the fan speed would never exceed 1250rpm. Also having some hard resets, but not sure if this is related to the high temps as I've only installed the card today.

After following this useful youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biTl_M_REeI&t=120s, I'm now able to set a custom curve that keeps the card at about 75C with a fan speed of around 2200rpm without any throttling.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Jamie3
Beginner

Well, system's been up and down like a yo-yo today. For a system that's never been a crasher it's been freezing or hard resetting every 20 mins or so since installing this GPU. Having looked at event viewer I found a lot of crashes related to Corsair iCUE, like the following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote64.exe, version: 4.29.0.2, time stamp: 0x63079a61
Faulting module name: ze_intel_gpu64.dll, version: 1.3.25435.0, time stamp: 0x63f7287a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000010e035
Faulting process ID: 0x0x2274
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D955EAB2F358E7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE 4 Software\Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch_d.inf_amd64_aad518f1f2838431\ze_intel_gpu64.dll
Report ID: 0f258f03-6d42-4f5e-9a74-61ee9b378def
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote64.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at CorsairLink4.Service.CpuIdRemote.Sdk.NativeWrapper.API.NativeAPIx64.init(Boolean)
at CorsairLink4.Service.CpuIdRemote.Sdk.NativeWrapper.NativeSdk.CreateInstance(Boolean)
at CorsairLink4.Service.CpuIdRemote.Sdk.NativeWrapper.NativeSdk.InitializeInstance(Boolean)
at CorsairLink4.Service.CpuIdRemote.Sdk.SdkProvider.<Init>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean)
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After uninstalling iCUE, I haven't had any system freezes for the last few hours

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Thank you for posting and sharing your feedback, experience, and fixes on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you were experiencing temperature issues on your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

We want to let you know that Intel is working to officially release the Fan Control feature on Intel® Arc™ Control soon. Users have found ways to enable the feature already but it is not recommended as it can be unstable or cause issues. The GPU FANS start to function when the system is over 56C. The max threshold for GPU temp is 90 C fans behaviors and temperatures are OK within parameters.

Please let us know if you have further questions or need further assistance regarding this topic.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jamie3
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for the response.. I kinda knew what I was getting myself into when I purchased this, but hopefully Intel will come good with their GPU drivers.  I've found my fans spin all the time with my card, but doesn't concern me as they sit at around 500rpm and are barely audible when the card is idling (48 - 50C). The ARC control "fix" I tried that opened up the fan speed control option doesn't seem to have much affect other than causing the fans to spin at about 1500rpm when idle, but did seem to get the fans to spin above 1200rpm which was the max speed I saw straight out of the box when the card was hitting 90C. I've since set the fan speed control to default and left it alone as the card is now doing a better job of cooling itself.

Removing and reinstalling Corsairs iCUE fixed my system freeze/reset issues. Haven't had any hard crashes since. Have also set the PCIe Link State Power management within windows to maximum power savings to get idle current draw below 40-45w without any noticeable drop in performance. Idle power draw now sits between 17 - 30w, which isn't great but is an improvement. 

I'm running this system on a TV rather than a monitor, and found the HDMI port seems a bit flaky - lots of random display resets/cutouts, so have moved it to one of the display ports using a display port-hdmi converter which has sorted out that issue, which has cost me HDR ability, but I'm not too concerned about that for now.

As for games, they've all been performing well so far, although Battlefield 2042 kept crashing out to the desktop within about 5 mins of starting a game - seemed to start working after uninstalling Intel Graphics Command centre that was downloaded from Microsoft Store.

Also had a crashing problem in No Man's Sky that was fixed after resetting graphics settings within the game to one of the default profiles.

Regards,

Jamie

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

It seems you were having a few issues after installing the GPU on the system, it is great that you found the solution for those, as well thank you for sharing the fixes on the thread as they might help other community members with similar behaviors.

Please look forward to the official release of the Fan Control feature as it should be better than what it is right now. As well we continue to improve our Intel® Arc™ Graphics products through our constant graphics updates. You can check the latest news on our newsroom.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Jamie3
Beginner

After a lot of driver reinstalls etc, I'm finding ARC Control is interfering with the fan speed, not allowing the fans to spin beyond 1250rpm causing the card to hit 90C. If I disable ARC Control in Windows startup (with the windows service still running), the fans sit at around 500rpm when idle, then spin up way beyond 1250rpm when the card is under load and so the card doesn't get anywhere near 90C.

Also finding some quirks with the power draw in fullscreen tests. I've been using MSI Kombustor for some testing and find that if I run a stress test in windowed mode, the card will draw 190w, but in full screen mode it sits between 150 & 160w. If I run ARC Control and adjust the power limit and set it back to 190w, the full screen stress test will draw the full 190w and give a higher frame rate, however running ARC Control means the fan speed is limited to 1250rpm so the GPU will quickly hit 90C then start to throttle.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Thank you for the information. Did the behavior with the fans not going over 1250rpm start before or after enabling the Fan Control function? I would advise disabling it since as mentioned it might cause issues.

I would also like to get videos or screenshots of the testing that you are doing to make sure if the behavior that you are experiencing is expected or not as 90C is still within the GPU parameters.

Also, please create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it to your reply.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Jamie3
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

The fan speed issue happens if I have ARC control running in its default state without enabling fan control. I've since DDU'd my display drivers and reinstalled the Intel graphics driver with all default settings and fan speed is limited to the 1200rpm range whenever ARC Control is running. If I prevent it from running, the fans spin up to higher speeds and cool the card properly. The first screenshot below is with ARC Control clean installed in its default state, card hitting 90C with low fan speed. The HWinfo screenshot was taken after a reboot with ARC Control prevented from starting up. I've also attached the file I got from SSU.

Regards,

Jamie

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Thank you for providing these details to us. We will need to further look into this internally, however, before we do so please try the latest BETA driver 30.0.101.4148, and let us know if you experience the same issue. Use Display Driver Uninstaller for the uninstallation of the previous driver.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Jamie3
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

I've installed this driver and haven't had any problems, although the installer doesn't install Arc control for me, only the driver is installed. The installer reports that it has installed Arc Control at the end of the installation, but it's nowhere to be found on my PC, with no folders or executable anywhere on my drive. When rerunning the install, it reports "unavailable" as the installed Arc version. Otherwise, the driver has performed fine - probably about the same as the 101.4146 driver when Arc control is disabled. I still have issues with intermittent display resets/black screens when using the HDMI port, so have continued using display port with a DP to HDMI converter. Otherwise, it's been running fine with no crashes and plenty of gaming with good performance

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Thank you for letting me know. As you mention, most likely everything is working fine due to Intel® Arc™Control not being installed. Please make sure that there are no traces of previous installations of ARC Control on Apps & Features:

1. Press the Windows key.
  2. Click on settings.
  3. Select Apps and then select Apps & features.
  4. Search for Intel® Arc™ Control software.
  5. Click on it and select the option to uninstall.

After you have checked and uninstalled ARC Control if there were any traces, reinstall the driver.

In regards, to the issue you mention about the flickering screen with HDMI, I would advise opening a new thread In order to keep on a thread per issue and prevent confusion troubleshooting and gathering information, as well as for other community members that might check this thread and are facing similar issues.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Jamie3
Beginner

Hi Hugo

This is what the driver installer installs, however it's greyed out - the modify & uninstall functions are greyed out. Checking the Intel directory in my Program Files & Program Files x86 directories, there is nothing there for Arc Control either. The installer seems to have created an add remove programs entry, but hasn't actually copied any files for Arc Control.

Regards,

Jamie

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

In this case, please try making the installation with an older driver version than 30.0.101.4148, however, if the issue continues even with an older driver, please try a manual installation using the .zip file instead of the .exe, The .zip file is also available in the download page that I have shared in previous posts. You can follow these instructions to complete the installation:

Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Were you able to complete the troubleshooting from our previous post? Please let us know the results.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

I want to let you know that we have identified and working on an issue in which the Fan's RPM gets stuck at 1200RPM when using any of the overclocking settings on the performance tab from Intel® Arc™ Control or third-party apps. Please reset these settings to default and check if the issue happens, you can follow these instructions:

• Open ARC Control 
  • Go to the Performance Tab 
  • Click on configure 
  • Click on Reset to defaults at the bottom of the settings screen. 
  • Click on apply 
  • Check if the fan is still stuck at 1200RPM if yes, restart the system and check back. 

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Jamie3
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

I've had a chance to play with this now, managed to install Arc control manually from the zip file download, and it still behaves the same way as the old one - fan behaviour is as you describe, it now only occurs after making any change on the performance tab but remains even after resetting everything to default - only a reboot cures the low fan speed and brings it back to normal, although this wasn't the case when I first installed the card with original driver - it was doing it out of the box. I haven't done any modifications to bring up fan speed control, everything is default.

Regards,

Jamie

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Thank you for the information and for confirming that the behavior shown by the GOU is described in my previous post. In this case please know this is a known issue that we are working on to release a fix for it, however, we are getting information from the systems affected. Please create a System report following these instructions. Only use the instructions under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC): Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Please let us know if you have further questions and if possible share with us the log file requested in my previous post.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Jamie3
Beginner

Hi Hugo, here's the report from Intel GCC.

You'll see in the report that I'm using a TV via Display Port as I have had intermittent flickering issues when using the HDMI port, however I'm starting to notice the random flicker whilst on the Display Port also, but this may be related to PCI Express power management in Windows - after changing from maximum to moderate power savings the flicker seems to have gone away, but does mean the card consumes a fair amount of power whilst idle.

Regards,

Jamie

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

Thank you for sharing the log files, this will be useful for our team working on the issue related to the fans getting stuck at 1200RPM. I will let you know once the information has been passed to them.

In regards to the flickering issue that you are experiencing, I would advise that you follow the steps in this article High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card is Idle, in order to optimize the power consumption settings between motherboard and GPU, however, if the issue persists it would be better to open a new thread to provide more troubleshooting and request for more information.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie3

We want to let you know that we passed the log files to the corresponding team investigating this issue. This is a known issue and we have a fix on its way, however, there is no estimated time for the fix to be released. In case you want to check the status later on you can reference the Bug ID 14018672713. Once again we want to thank you for all the information you provided throughout the thread as it helps us continue improving the Intel® Arc™ Products.

best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos