Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Trying to run dual external monitors at 4k60 on Intel HD Graphics 620

silverado
Beginner

Hey! I have an Asus Q534UXK laptop with Intel HD Graphics 620 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 10) - I'm trying to run dual external monitors at 4k60.

I read a post elsewhere on the forum saying that this processor can run three monitors at 4k60: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Can-Intel-HD-Graphics-620-support-two-monitors-in-2560x1440/m-p/662431/highlight/true#M78154

I have not been successful at achieving this so far, and I'm trying to make sure I understand why.

The processor specifications are here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95451/intel-core-i7-7500u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

Laptop specifications (closest I can find) here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/UX560UA/0409_E11237_UX560UA_Q504UA_A.pdf

I think I might understand why it isn't working, but I need someone to validate my theory:

According to that forum post, the processor itself is powerful enough to run 3 monitors at 4k60. This is because the processor has three output channels. However, the resolutions and refresh rates it will be able to output depends on how those channels are configured.

My laptop has a 4k60 screen on it already; if I understand correctly, that means one of the channels is configured for eDP.

The laptop also has an HDMI port on the side; therefore one of the output channels must be configured for HDMI. Unfortunately for me, this processor can only be configured for HDMI 1.4, so 4k60 over that channel is out of the question (and I have indeed only been able to get 4k30 / 2k60 from it)

That leaves me with the Thunderbolt 3 port, which this laptop actually has (for some reason). My understanding is that TB3 is "wide" enough to be able to carry two 4k60 signals through it, so I bought a TB3 dock (https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udz) that also claims to support this.

Using TB3 and this dock, I have only been able to achieve 4k30 when both monitors are connected. If only one is connected (either directly to the TB3 port or through the dock) I can get 4k60 on it. But I haven't gotten 4k60 when both are connected through the dock simultaneously.

This is the point where I am seeking some help in understanding / don't really know what I'm talking about: my theory is that this processor only has one remaining output channel that the Thunderbolt 3 connection is able to "use," if that makes sense (the 2 others are configured for eDP and HDMI). Because the TB3 connection can only access a single remaining channel (probably DisplayPort 1.2 right?), anything connected to it has to share that channel. DisplayPort 1.2 can handle one stream of 4k60, but not two. Therefore, the 2 external monitors are sharing a that channel.

That is my theory and I would be grateful if someone could validate/invalidate it and teach me anything I'm missing. Is my understanding correct? I would also be grateful, of course, if anyone knows how I can actually manage to achieve dual-external 4k60 output with this machine (even if it means the integrated laptop display cannot be used simultaneously). Can output channels be reconfigured in software, or are they a physical thing? Can Thunderbolt 3 be connected to more than one output channel simultaneously? Did that question that even make sense, or am I missing most of the language/understanding that comes in-between? Thanks so much to anyone who can help me! Cheers

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello silverado,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Before jumping to any conclusions here please bear in mind the following information:

- The capabilities of your laptop’s video output depend not only on your Internal graphics but also depend about the customizations and limitations set up by the manufacturer of it in this case Asus.

- According to our website as you might have already checked on your end your processor graphics support up to three displays at the following resolutions and frequencies:

Max Resolution (HDMI)‡

4096x2304@24Hz

Max Resolution (DP)‡

4096x2304@60Hz

Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡

4096x2304@60Hz

However, we have only validated these resolutions while using straight-through connections (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI, DVI-to-DVI) with a single cable for each display; therefore, the use of any adapters although necessary on laptops due to the lack of ports is not supported on our end and should be discussed with either the manufacturer of the laptop or the adapter itself.

-According to the laptop’s manual which you can find in the link below, it doesn’t state what configurations are possible with the computer so it would be fair to say that in regards to limitations from both the HDMI port and the thunderbolt port only Asus would know if for example, the adapter that you use is the correct one or if it’s normal that you can only get 4k resolution at 30Hz on a dual monitor configuration.

Manual

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/UX560UA/0409_E11237_UX560UA_Q504UA_A.pdf

In regard to our recommendations, before proceeding we will need you to provide the following log and information to check on our end the best way to approach your situation.

-DXDIAG

•          Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.

•          On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.

•          On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.

•          Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

- Can you please provide the brand and model of the monitors that you are currently using?

- Can you please let us know what kind of projection (Duplicate, extended or second screen only ) do you have your laptop set up to?

- While the two monitors are connected to the laptop please provide the following graphics report.

Intel® Graphics report

Instructions link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Note: With the graphics report you don’t have to send reports from both tools just the one you currently use if applicable.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Silverado,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello silverado,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored 

Victor G. 

0 Kudos