Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

UHD 620 freezing and lagging - Driver bug

AArya9
Novice

I have an XPS 13 9370 with a 4k display that has a i7 8550u and uhd 620.

I am getting awful graphical performance all around windows, browsing, and any application.

I have tested using intel display driver from Dell (repackaged DCH driver) and the latest DCH driver from intel. Both have this issue. IMG_1999 shows an example of this.

I saw a post with a solution for an older laptop with the same problem which was to install the intel 15.45 legacy driver. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29805/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

This pretty much solved the performance issue however it introduced a new issue. IMG_2003 shows this

playing a video on this driver in any application would either cause it to crash or crash then recover before playing the video (see attached video) IMG_2006 shows this.

Check videos for examples

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So we can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

Thanks for the quick response here is the file

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In addition to the report you provided, we will highly appreciate that you provide the following: 

1. Get the DxDiag report and attach it to the thread: 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.   
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.   
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.   
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. We could not reproduce the videos "IMG_2003.mov/IMG_2006.mov", can you try to send them in a different format like .MP4? You can also use YouTube* and just share the link with us. 

3. You can check the attachments and you will see the "Graphics bug report" attached, some of the information will be already included on the reports, but if you can fill the document and attach it to this thread will be very useful. The most important information about this report will be the "Configurations" and "How to repro" categories. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I completed the form you attached, let me know if you need anything else. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9, 

Thank you for the detailed report, please help us to confirm the following: 

1. I noticed that you use Edge and Chrome for this, are both browsers up to date? You can try updating them in case they are not. Also, try using a third monitor like Firefox* just for testing. 

2. Are you connecting to the internet wired or wirelessly?  

3. Instead of using the built-in display of your laptop, can you try an external monitor and check if the behavior persists?   

4. Try storing one of the videos locally, and check if a similar behavior occurs. 

Note: Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

The issue also occurs on Firefox. 

I do not have a way to connect this laptop to an external monitor unfortunately since it only has USB C and no HDMI.

I am fairly certain that this is a driver issue because on a legacy driver (non DCH), the scrolling is perfectly smooth in the same scenario.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9, 

Thank you for the information provided. 

We would like to have all the details available so we can try replicating this behavior, can you please let us know what is the exact version of the legacy non-DCH driver that does not have the same behavior that you are reporting now?  

Also, can you provide a similar video with this driver so we can compare the difference? 

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

Hello, the legacy non dch driver is the latest 15.45 graphics driver from intel's site. I uploaded the video on the original post comparing the difference between the two drivers. 

I also did some digging on the issue. 

My issue seems to stem from the overall issue that is described very well in this post 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-HD-Graphics-Lags-on-High-Resolution-Displays-Not-Powerful/td-p/671766/page/2

More specifically the issue I mentioned in the post above though is related to the ANGLE D3D11 backend in chrome I believe. 

I am not an expert in this stuff, however I am just trying to provide the specific information that may prove helpful in getting this bug resolved.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9, 

Thank you for all the details provided. 

We would like to check this matter internally, please kindly wait for our update. As soon as we have an update on this, we will post it on the thread. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9, 

Thank you for patiently waiting for a response. 

We tried doing some replication in our end and the results are the following: 

Testing #1: 

• Internal mini-PC 
  • CPU: i5-7200U with Intel® HD Graphics 620, using the driver version 27.20.100.8587. 
  • Windows 2004 Build: 19041 
  • Google Chrome version: 85.0.4183.83 (latest) 
  • Mozilla version: 80.0 (latest) 

Results: We did not see any issues with this system, the scrolling was smooth with no lagging. Same results for Chrome and Firefox.  

Testing #2: 

• NUC9VXQNX with Intel® UHD Graphics P630, using  the driver version 27.20.100.8587. 
  • Windows 2004 Build:19041 
  • Google Chrome version: 85.0.4183.83 (latest) 
  • Mozilla version: 80.0 (latest) 

Results: We did not see any issues with this system either, the scrolling was smooth with no lagging. Same results for Chrome and Firefox. 

Please check the videos attached: Chrome NUC, NUC Mozilla, Google Chrome CRB, Mozilla CRB. 

Are we missing something in the issue reproduction? Please let us know.  

Note: The graphics driver version 15.40.46.5144 is not compatible with your system, so I am actually not sure how you got to install it, you can check that in the following link, under This download is valid for the product(s) listed below. Your CPU or graphics card is not listed there: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29804/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=80939 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

Hello thanks for the reply @Sebastian_M_Intel .

Some thing you may be missing is that my system has single channel memory, in the task manager it says "row of chips" for the memory configuration.

Also my screen is a uhd (3840 x 2160) screen.

As per the driver, you can manually install an unsupported driver through device manager in windows. I saw it mentioned on another thread here and I installed it for testing purposes. Although there were some issues due to the incompatability, the driver let me scroll perfectly smooth with videos on the screen.

Something to note is that the scrolling issue is likely related to the D3D11 ANGLE backend.

Thanks again for your help and for looking into this issue. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9,  

Thank you for your clarification. 

Actually, the use of single channel memory will affect using the UHD resolution, it will not work as expected as using dual channel memory. Based on that, this seems to be related to your system configuration, have you tried reporting this to your system manufacturer (OEM)? Remember that we tried replicating this behavior internally with no issues. 

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

@Sebastian_M_Intel 

Thanks for the reply. I have already reported this issue to my OEM and they replaced the motherboard, yet the issue is still present. This leads me to believe that this is a driver issue.

My suspicions seems to be confirmed as on the 15.45 driver, the page scrolls smoothly up and down even if there is a video on the screen but on the DCH driver it lags when there is a video on the screen.

Thanks again for looking into this issue.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9,   

Thank you for your reply. 

You mentioned the OEM replaced the motherboard of the laptop, did they include the CPU also or did you have to install it separately? Did you do that before posting this thread?  

As we did several testing with our latest drivers and saw no problem, we do not believe this can be related to our driver. You also mentioned that you tested the driver available in the Dell's website, that driver is a different package as OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features from their side, this also shows the problem following different drivers. 

Another extra step you can try is replicating this using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, in case this driver does not show this behavior it can be even a hardware problem in the graphical portion of your CPU:  

1. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  2. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel Programs and Features. 
  3. Restart the computer. 
  4. Confirm in Device Manager Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  5. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 5.1.1 through 5.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

You can also try performing a fresh reinstallation of Windows* 10, using a new image with a new bootable device and installing the OS from scratch (check Microsoft's guidance

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AArya9, 

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

Hi @Sebastian_M_Intel ,

I saw your reply but I didn't get a chance to reply as the school year just started for me. 

In the motherboard replacement, they replaced the CPU, RAM, and SSD.

On the basic display adapter, the specific issue does not occur but performance is a complete laggy, unusable mess.

As for the fresh windows install, I have already tried that and I am currently on the fresh install from when they changed the SSD.

Thanks again for looking into this for me.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @AArya9 

I would like to chime in if that is ok.

Adding emphasis on the system memory configuration being 'Single-Channel': This has shown to have a direct impact on 4K performance. The integrated graphics relies on the system memory for its own video memory resources, and when we consider 4K to be quite a heavy task to handle on the video memory department (after all the 8 million pixels have to be stored somewhere) the more bandwidth the better.

Can you check with your laptop manufacturer if it is possible to switch to Dual-Channel memory? By the way, I don't think you should rush and spend any extra money for now, and rather request your laptop manufacturer test this for you and confirm if it makes a difference or not.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

@RonaldM_Intel 

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the memory is soldered onto the motherboard so changing it isn't an option. 

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

@RonaldM_Intel @Sebastian_M_Intel 

Also something I would like to add is that although there is general performance lag which may be attributed to the single channel memory and the 4k resolution. This thread is mainly focused on the software bug which can be seen in this video I have added.

https://youtu.be/xoS6_sw31yA

This occurs on the DCH drivers from Dell and Intel. It does not occur on the legacy intel 15.45 drivers nor on the microsoft basic display adapter. This leads me to believe that this bug pertains to the DCH driver. Also this bug is not resolution specific. If I downscale the screen to 1080p the bug still occurs, further leading me to believe this is driver related.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thanks for the clarification!

I just saw the Youtube video and I think I see the lag you mentioned. Just to confirm, are you referring to the jump that happens at the 0:06 time mark when the screen scrolls from the comments to the video section? or you also mean the way the text scrolls up and down?

Anyway, I went ahead and tested this scenario with my Thinkpad T580 (UHD Graphics 620) and also used a desktop with a discrete Graphics card looking to do a more objective side-by-side comparison. Honestly I couldn't see any difference in performance. Recording of my test is available here, please take a look at it and let me know if I am missing something.  

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos