Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

UHD 630 Graphics driver update causing random black screen issues throughout the day

Straitéis
Beginner

Earlier this month I updated my Intel UHD Graphics 630 display adaptor on my laptop after it was suggested as a solution to solve an issue I was having. Unless there is some background process that automatically updates drivers, this was the first time in over a year it had been updated.

Since then, that update to the latest version has caused a new issue that causes my monitors to go black for a few seconds. This appears to occur once or twice a day at random. My laptop screen and 2nd monitor go black, any audio I'm listening to sometimes holds a single tone and starts to buzz for the duration of the black screen, and then my screens reappear again. For some programs that I am using on my laptop monitor at the moment the issue happens, they don't reappear on screen, but they stay open (The program and the cursor are invisible and the monitor displays whatever is behind it, whether that's the desktop or another program, but the hidden program responds to input from mouse or keyboard)

This has happened everyday since the update. Disabling the driver prevents this issue but that unsurprisingly  causes more problems than it fixes. Because this is a Windows DCH driver, I am also unable to roll back the update

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Straitéis

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Checking the Intel® SSU report for this system, we noticed that it is currently running an old driver, version 26.20.100.7323. Also, we noticed that the system has dual graphics (Intel + NVIDIA®). When talking about laptops, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes and the recommendation is to use the drivers provided by the OEM to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. 

In this case, we would like to recommend the following steps:

A- Check Windows* updates:

1. Click the Windows Start button. 
  2. Click the search and type "Windows updates" and click on that option.
  3. Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

B- Perform a clean install of the graphics driver:

1- Download the latest ACER* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel® VGA Driver version 25.20.100.6471*

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics).

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® UHD Graphics 630 or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded Acer file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

Please also check with your OEM for the recommended graphics driver for the other Graphics Controller on your system (NVIDIA*).

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the Intel® generic driver (.exe file) from this link:  Intel® UHD Graphics 630 Version: 27.20.100.9466 (Latest).

C- Optional:

1. Based on the Intel® SSU report, the system is running BIOS version 1.06 and it seems there are 5 newer versions available on the Acer* website. Please check with your OEM if they recommend updating the BIOS and for proper update instructions/assistance.
  2. Reinstalling the operating system may resolve this issue. Check with your OEM before trying this so they may provide proper steps.

Since the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM) and OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues, if the issue is not resolved, we recommend contacting the system manufacturer for customized drivers (we noticed the ACER® drivers on their website are from 2019/02/12).

For your convenience, here is the link to Acer* support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Straitéis

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Checking the Intel® SSU report for this system, we noticed that it is currently running an old driver, version 26.20.100.7323. Also, we noticed that the system has dual graphics (Intel + NVIDIA®). When talking about laptops, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes and the recommendation is to use the drivers provided by the OEM to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. 

In this case, we would like to recommend the following steps:

A- Check Windows* updates:

1. Click the Windows Start button. 
  2. Click the search and type "Windows updates" and click on that option.
  3. Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

B- Perform a clean install of the graphics driver:

1- Download the latest ACER* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel® VGA Driver version 25.20.100.6471*

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics).

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® UHD Graphics 630 or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded Acer file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

Please also check with your OEM for the recommended graphics driver for the other Graphics Controller on your system (NVIDIA*).

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the Intel® generic driver (.exe file) from this link:  Intel® UHD Graphics 630 Version: 27.20.100.9466 (Latest).

C- Optional:

1. Based on the Intel® SSU report, the system is running BIOS version 1.06 and it seems there are 5 newer versions available on the Acer* website. Please check with your OEM if they recommend updating the BIOS and for proper update instructions/assistance.
  2. Reinstalling the operating system may resolve this issue. Check with your OEM before trying this so they may provide proper steps.

Since the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM) and OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues, if the issue is not resolved, we recommend contacting the system manufacturer for customized drivers (we noticed the ACER® drivers on their website are from 2019/02/12).

For your convenience, here is the link to Acer* support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Straitéis

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Straitéis

We hope that the information provided has been helpful. Since the thread has been marked as "Solved" and there are no more comments or questions, then we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DineswithWolves
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

I am having a similar issue with the a HP Envy all in one. I disabled the UHD 630 DRIVER and re-boot and the second screen will duplicate know instead of being just black. Once a enable the driver it  goes back to black. If I delete the driver and reboot the standard Microsoft Basic Display Adapter shows up but it eventually autoupdates back the 630 driver and causes the second screen to not be recognized.  Same tiring issues about to wipe the whole machine and start from scratch. 

Bios is at F.58

Machine is  HP ENVY ALL-IN-ONE 27-B2XX

Mother board MODEL 8419

VERSION A01

Window 10 home 64bit version build 21h1(10.0.19043)

0 Kudos