Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

UHD 630 - Random freezes when the integrated card decides it has to take everything on it's own

AdrienRivollet
Beginner

Hello,

I am here for a problem about my graphics. I have an integrated graphics card (Intel UHD Graphics 630) and a NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GPU on my laptop. I have a dell dock too but the problem doesn't seem to be related to that (my freezes happen with or without it). So what is my problem exactly? When I'm playing games (that the computer is totally able to run), I sometimes have random 5s to 15s stutters (around 2 FPS + few second freezes during that time), and those stutters happen WAY more often when     I have a second screen plugged in. When I look at the performances in the task manager, when this happens, the activity of my NVIDIA (on which the games run, I modified the default options) drops to 0% to 15% (it was around 80% before) and the Intel Graphics peak at 100% for all of this time, even tho there is no reason for it to do so.

This problem isn't linked to the resource the games ask for, as they are totally able to run normally without double screen (except rare occasions), and as decreasing the resolution, the graphic options, turning off fullscreen doesn't do anything. It just seems to happen about 10/20 min after I start the game up and then it happens way more often (I would say every 5/10 min). This leads me into thinking there is a problem with the Intel, or the NVIDIA, so I'm trying to find answers here and try going to NVIDIA too.

I already tried to reinstall both of my graphics card, but nothing does. All of my drivers are up to date. NVIDIA Control Panel tells me the game is supposed to always run on the NVIDIA. Windows settings tell me that too. It doesn't look like Intel Panel lets me choose something like this.

This is what my resource tab of the task manager looks like (couldn't take a screenshot as the computer was freezing) ( didn't take the other tabs as the were perfectly normal, processor was under 80%, memory was at 7/16 GB, disk was under 5% and wifi wasn't struggling) (the game was already running for at least 5min, so this isnt due to it starting up)

GPUs Activity when my problem occursGPUs Activity when my problem occurs

As this graphics card is supposed to handle up to 3 screens, I don't really understand why it's not able to run one game properly with a second screen plugged in.

I wonder if some people had the same problem, I hope that some of you will read this and try to help me.

Thank you for reading

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AdrienRivollet

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is the main issue occuring only when connecting a second (external) display? How are you connecting the display? (video ports, cable types, adapters?).

2- Are you running the game on the external display or built-in display? What do you mean by "running the game double screen"?

3- How are you checking if the game is running using the discrete video card (Nvidia*)?

4- What are the (Nvidia*) default options that you modified?

5- Does this happens with all the games or only with some specific games? Please provide details and "step-by-step" instructions to test behavior.

6- When the behavior occurs, what are the temperatures of the processor? Have you monitored this?

7- Did this configuration work fine before? If yes, was there any update (Windows, driver, software) or hardware change?

8- Please provide an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report. The purpose of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool is to verify the functionality of an Intel® microprocessor. You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from the below link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

9- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

1. Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 
  2. Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AdrienRivollet

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AdrienRivollet

We have not heard back from you so if the issue persists, our recommendation is to contact the computer manufacturer (OEM) to check further about BIOS settings and hybrid graphics configuration settings. They may also assist you to review what is needed to change on the NVIDIA® control panel to run the games with the discrete graphics card.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos