Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

UHD 630 with 3x Displays

MDowe
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm planning a new PC build with an i7-8700 and H370 motherboard featuring a DP, HDMI, DVI and VGA sockets serving 3x monitors as follows:-

1) 4k TV with HDMI

2) FHD Monitor with HDMI

3) FHD Monitor with HDMI

My research indicates that to get 60Hz on the 4k I have to use the DP socket as the HDMI is only v1.4. To get HDMIv2.0 on the mobo it seems I need to go to Z370 (possibly even Z270) and mini-ITX boards, but I need the slots you get on H370 mobos. In light of this I plan to feed the monitors as follows:-

1) DP socket + DP/HDMI adapter + HDMI cable to yield 3840x2160 @ 60HZ

2) HDMI socket + HDMI cable to yield 1920x1080 @ doesn't matter too much

3) DVI socket + DVI to HDMI cable to yield 1920x1080 @ doesn't matter too much

I am led to believe by my research that the above will work to yield a combined desktop under Windows 10 Pro of 5760x2160. Can anyone confirm, deny or offer any thoughts on this setup. This setup is intended for pretty basic office work, ie I'm not particularly interested in the gaming performance (or video editing), I just need a huge desktop and like to to be able to drive the monitors to their best ability.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Regards Malcolm

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MalcolmD

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

Allow me to share with you that the Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor according to the specification it supports the following resolutions:
  • Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4): 4096x2304@24Hz
  • Max Resolution (DP): 4096x2304@60Hz
  • Max Resolution (eDP- Integrated Flat Panel): 4096x2304@60Hz

Note: These resolutions would be shared among all the displays connected to the specific kind of output. For example, the HDMI output (4096x2304@24Hz), if you have 2 o 3 displays, would be distributed among each display. This means that resolution would be lower on each display so that all of them would use the bandwidth equivalent as the HDMI output on the specifications.

I would recommend also verifying the Motherboard manufacture for the display output design on the Z370.

Also, bear in mind that Intel® does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MDowe
Beginner

Leonardo C, thank you for your reply.

This was my concern, ie that although the UHD630 can drive 3x displays, the resolution of 4096x2304 is shared.

So it seems that in order to get my desktop of 5760x2160 (ie a 4k+2xstacked FHDs), I need to use the mobo to drive the two FHDs via HDMI/DVI and buy an add in card to drive the 4k via HDMI.

I could of course drive the 4k from the mobo and get a card to drive the two FHDs, but then I either have to run the 4k@24Hz or use a DP/HDMI adapter. Better the first way round I think.

BTW I noticed since posting of the new 9th gen core chips - is there an ETA for the i7-9700? I know the i7-9700K is imminent, but couldn't find any details for the standard chip.

Many thanks advance,

Regards Malcolm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MalcolmD

Thank you for the information.

In this case, with Intel UHD graphics the discrete video card is not necessary for the setting if the MOBO has one DP output and to HDMI output, but you need to verify the valid/supported configuration; in case of using the discrete video card is important to verify with the MOBO manufacturer that it can handle Intel® HD graphics + discrete card.

Refer to the following link for the Intel® Core™ i7-9700K Processor specification:

https://ark.intel.com/products/186604/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-90-GHz- https://ark.intel.com/products/186604/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-90-GHz-

I would recommend contacting the Intel distributor of your preference for the product availability.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos