Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

UHD 730 HDMI audio cutting out issue

ap2112
Beginner

Hello!

I have encountered a problem when use PC audio with HDMI connection.

I am wondering if I am alone and if there is a solution to address it?

Thank you in advance!

PC Spec

CPU: i5-11400

MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS

Graphics: only Intel UHD 730 from the CPU.

RAM: 8GB DDR4 3600 x 2

Storage: NVME SSD x 1, SATA SSD x 1, HDD x 1

Audio Connection:   PC <---HDMI---> TV

no other audio cable connected.

The problem

Any sound played, the first approx. 0.5s will be cut out.

Sometimes this issue is acceptable, sometimes it's critical.

Here are some scenarios for example:

• playing a song or a movie:
    Because the cutting out is short, basically it is acceptable.
  • playing a pronunciation of a word in a dictionary app:
    e.g. If I play "right", I can only hear "/t/", "/raɪ/" is completely cut off.
    Because I am an English learner, I listen to the pronunciation all the time, this is so critical for me.
  • Instant messaging  apps notification sound:
    The IM app I am using seems to be completely muted, because the notification sound is very short, no sounds at all can be heard.
    I have to check the app to see if there is new messages all the time.  It's very inconvenient.

Some Facts

• The same TV and same HDMI cable were previously used on another PC with GTX1070 HDMI audio, never had the problem.
  • I tried the latest stable Intel and Asus drivers, both have the same result.
  • I found that both Intel and Asus drivers seem to use the same Microsoft driver files:
    audio_driver_comp.jpg
  • Intel's driver release note says it does NOT contain Audio Driver for 11th Gen CPUs:
    Package_Contents.jpg
  • I searched the Internet and I believe this problem is caused by so called "silent stream bug", but Intel's datasheet for 11th Gen CPUs claims that they still support "silent stream", but how?11th-cpus-datasheet.jpg

0 Kudos
29 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before? If so, when did the issue start happening?
  2. Have you tried using a different audio output device? If so, does the issue persists?
  3. Does the issue only occur when using HDMI?

Also, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hi Josue,

Thank you very much for your prompt response!

2. Have you tried using a different audio output device? If so, does the issue persists?

My answers:

1. No, it wasn't as I can recall.
    It's my new PC I built about 3 weeks ago. It has been behaving like this from the beginning.
  2. Realtek 3.5mm audio jack works fine.
  3. I don't have a DP monitor or optical devices, so I can only confirm that it occurs when using HDMI, and Realtek 3.5mm jack is OK.

FYI:

• as a workaround, when I am to play word pronunciations, I first open a very long Youtube video(with audio), adjust its volume to very low, keep it playing in background. While the video is playing, if I play other very short audio, nothing will be cut out.
  • I tried the latest 30.0.101.1121 beta version driver, nothing changed. The Display Audio device driver files still are the same Microsoft files.
  • I am using Windows 11 Pro(general release channel), all updates installed. But Windows Update is trying to overwrite any Graphics driver I installed except ver.1069 with the old one:27.20.100.9078. 
    I can't bypass the overwriting, and after that old driver is installed, my iGPU will be recognized as "Intel UHD Graphic" in device manager, the "730" model number is gone. 
    WDDM version in dxdiag will be downgraded to 2.7 from 3.0.
    The audio issue persists.

The SSU Report:

I generated the report but found it includes some information like IPv6 addresses, computer name,  etc... It's hard to review all parts because it's a long file.

I am really sorry but I don't feel ready to share it.

If you need some specific information, please let me know.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hi Josue,

My answers:

It's my new PC I built about 3 weeks ago. It has been behaving like this from the beginning.
  3. I don't have a DP monitor or optical devices, so I can only confirm it occurs when using HDMI, and Realtek 3.5mm jack is OK.

FYI:

• as a workaround, when I am to play word pronunciations, I first open a very long Youtube video, adjust its volume to very low, keep it playing in background. While the video is playing, even if I play very short audio, nothing will be cut out.
  • I tried the latest 30.0.101.1121 beta version driver, nothing changed.
  • I am using Windows 11 Pro(general release channel), all updates installed. But Windows Update is trying to overwrite any Graphics driver I installed except ver.1069 with the old one:27.20.100.9078. 
    After that old driver is installed, my iGPU will be recognized as "Intel UHD Graphic" in device manager, the "730" model number is gone. 
    WDDM version will be downgraded to 2.7 from 3.0.

The SSU Report:

I generated the report but found it includes some information like IPv6 address, computer name and more I-think-it-is-private info included in the system logs. I can't review all parts because it's a long file.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hi Josue,

My answers:

3. I don't have a DP monitor or optical devices, so I can only confirm it occurs when using HDMI, and Realtek 3.5mm jack is OK.

FYI:

• as a workaround, when I am to play word pronunciations, I first open a very long Youtube video, adjust its volume to very low, keep it playing in background. While the video is playing, even if I play very short audio, nothing will be cut out.
    After that old driver is installed, my iGPU will be recognized as "Intel UHD Graphic" in device manager, the "730" model number is gone. 

The SSU Report:

I generated the report but found it includes some information like IPv6 address, computer name and more I-think-it-is-private info included in the system logs. I can't review all parts because it's a long file.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

I tried to reply 3 times but my posts are not showing.

-------------------------------------

Hi Josue,

My answers:

FYI:

The SSU Report:

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

Thank you for the information provided, if you want, you can share the Intel® SSU report via private message so that the information is not posted in the thread, let me know if you are willing to do this. 

If you don't feel safe doing that, don't worry. However, if that is the case please provide me with the OS build number and with the BIOS version you are using. 

Regarding the issue when trying to post, I am sorry for the inconvenience, I will pass the feedback to the corresponding team so that they can check for any issues on the forum. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hello Josue,

Thank you for your understanding!
Please refer to the following information you requested.
And yes I can PM you if you still need the report.
Have a nice weekend!

Kind regards,
Ap2112

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)

BIOS:

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"
BIOS Version/Date:"American Megatrends Inc. 1203 , 10/27/2021 12:00"

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

Thank you for the information provided, I will send you an email to the address you used to register in the community requesting the report. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

We have received your report, I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

In this case, we have checked the release notes of the driver and we can confirm that the latest driver support 11th gen processors. 

Also, please share with me the following information:

1. Have you swapped the processors or the motherboard to discard any hardware issue?
  2. What is the HDMI version of the motherboard and the TV?
  3. Have you tried different HDMI cables?

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hello Josue,

1. Have you swapped the processors or the motherboard to discard any hardware issue?
    --> No, I haven’t had the chance because this PC is in daily use. Besides, it is basically stable except some rare occasions of black screen after sleep and ctrl-shift-win-B fixes it. In 3 weeks, there is once that the PC froze without memory dump or logs in event viewer then I had to force shut down. I read that a lot of Windows 11 have this issue.

Nevertheless, including the audio cutting out issue, I think that the possibility of hardware failure should be low.

1. What is the HDMI version of the motherboard and the TV?
    --> The motherboard has HDMI 2.0 while the TV (LG 55UJ6500) doesn’t clarify that on its web site. But I think it should be >=2.0 because it supports 4K@60Hz and HDR. I could turn on HDR in Windows 11 Display settings with 4K resolution.
  2. Have you tried different HDMI cables?
    -->Different cable or port didn’t work.

Also tried:

[TV side]

• Enable/disable “auto volume”
  • Enable/disable “HDMI-CEC”
  • Reset Audio settings
  • “True color mode” ON/OFF of that HDMI port.
  • Confirmed the audio format of HDMI is PCM and no option to change it.

[PC side]

• Uninstall/reinstall all audio drivers including Display Audio, Realtek, Mic, Audio endpoint, HDA controller.
  • Install various versions of audio driver: Intel stable/beta, Windows Update/optional driver, Asus driver.
  • Update/Reset BIOS.
  • Turn off then on HDA in BIOS settings.
  • Run sfc /scannow(no error), DISM.exe.
  • Update Intel ME drivers via Windows Update.
  • Reflash Intel ME firmware with Ausu’s tool.
  • Chang power plan from "balanced" to "high performance".
  • Uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" of Display Audio device.
    (automatically checked after reboot)

This issue, AFAIK is not a new one. It is known as “silent stream” bug.

Before we dig deeper, is it possible for you to try to reproduce it on some random TV? I really would like to know, if it is a feature or a common bug or a unique problem of my PC?

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Open Microsoft Edge and go to https://forvo.com/search/right/

This is a page which provides pronunciations of the word “right”.

1. Click the play button to play the pronunciation.
  2. First time playing it will give a cut out voice like “ght”.
  3. Second, third time you play it, will give you a complete voice of “right”.
  4. Wait a minute or reload the page then play it again, the voice will be cut out.

So, the browser seems to keep the audio channel “alive” for a couple of seconds after sound playing. Not all apps do this, another dictionary app or system notification sounds will shut off the audio channel right after the sound playing is end.
I think I can safely assume that if the “silent stream” is being sent by the driver, this issue will not exist.

Another point is as I mentioned before, no matter what version of driver (Intel/Microsoft/Asus, Stable/beta) I install, the “Driver Details” button in Device Manger always list the same files from Microsoft, and their version is 10.0.22000 which is exactly the same to OS version number.

Intel’s graphics driver package only provides an inf file (MSHdaDac.inf) which tells the OS to use the “universal” Windows built-in HDA driver files.

Based on above facts, is there a possibility that HDA device comes with Intel 11th CPU does not have a driver from Intel, but uses OS supplied universal driver which does not provide “silent stream” functionality?

Although I somehow believe this is the case and expect Intel could release a dedicated HDA driver for 11th gen CPUs like the previous generations, I found another problem, maybe it is the cause?

“Device settings not migrated” event showing in “Events” tab of Property of Display Audio device in Device Manager.

audio_not_migrated.jpg

Device settings for HDAUDIO\SUBFUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2816&NID_0001&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_1000\5&3395123&2&0002&00000013 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Last Device Instance Id: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2816&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&328487d5&0&0201
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF122
Present: false

This is also in events of Realtek Audio devices: adapter, mic, headphone.
The Realtek headphone is working fine only the mic has noisy noises which I am not sure if it is related to the “not migrated” issue.

This PC firstly had Windows 10 clean installed and upgraded to Windows 11 right after that.

I have tried everything as mentioned above and could not get rid of it.

I don’t know if this is related, just for your information.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Couldn't post again, no error but not displaying after page reload. Posting again.

-----------

Hello Josue,

No, I haven’t had the chance because this PC is in daily use. Besides, it is basically stable except some rare occasions of black screen after sleep and ctrl-shift-win-B fixes it. In 3 weeks, there is once that the PC froze without memory dump or logs in event viewer then I had to force shut down. I read that a lot of Windows 11 have this issue.

Nevertheless, including the audio cutting out issue, I think that the possibility of hardware failure should be low.

The motherboard has HDMI 2.0 while the TV (LG 55UJ6500) doesn’t clarify that on its web site. But I think it should be >=2.0 because it supports 4K@60Hz and HDR. I could turn on HDR in Windows 11 Display settings with 4K resolution.
    Different cable or port didn’t work.

Also tried:

[TV side]

• Reset Audio settings

[PC side]

• Uninstall/reinstall all audio drivers including Display Audio, Realtek, Mic, Audio endpoint, HDA controller.
  • Install various versions of audio driver: Intel stable/beta, Windows Update/optional driver, Asus driver.
  • Update/Reset BIOS.
  • Reflash Intel ME firmware with Ausu’s tool.
  • Change the power plan from “balanced” to “high performance”.
  • Uncheck “allow computer to turn off this device to save power” of the Display Audio device.
    (Checked automatically after reboot).

Before we dig deeper, is it possible for you to try to reproduce it on some random TV? I really would like to know, if it is a feature or a common bug or a unique problem of my PC?

4. Wait a minute or reload the page then play it again, the voice will be cut out.

So, the browser seems to keep the audio channel “alive” for a couple of seconds after sound playing. Not all apps do this, another dictionary app or system notification sounds will shut off the audio channel right after the sound playing is end.
I think I can safely assume that if the “silent stream” is being sent by the driver, this issue will not exist.

Another point is as I mentioned before, no matter what version of driver (Intel/Microsoft/Asus, Stable/beta) I install, the “Driver Details” button in Device Manger always list the same files from Microsoft, and their version is 10.0.22000 which is exactly the same to OS version number.

Intel’s graphics driver package only provides an inf file (MSHdaDac.inf) which tells the OS to use the “universal” Windows built-in HDA driver files.

Based on above facts, is there a possibility that HDA device comes with Intel 11th CPU does not have a driver from Intel, but uses OS supplied universal driver which does not provide “silent stream” functionality?

Although I somehow believe this is the case and expect Intel could release a dedicated HDA driver for 11th gen CPUs like the previous generations, I found another problem, maybe it is the cause?

“Device settings not migrated” event showing in “Events” tab of Property of Display Audio device in Device Manager.

audio_not_migrated.jpg

Device settings for HDAUDIO\SUBFUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2816&NID_0001&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_1000\5&3395123&2&0002&00000013 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Last Device Instance Id: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2816&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&328487d5&0&0201
Location Path:

The Realtek headphone is working fine only the mic has noisy noises which I am not sure if it is related to the “not migrated” issue.

This PC firstly had Windows 10 clean installed and upgraded to Windows 11 right after that.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

test, can't post again. no error, my post just disappears after page reload.

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hello Josue,

No, I haven’t had the chance because this PC is in daily use. Besides, it is basically stable except some rare occasions of black screen after sleep and ctrl-shift-win-B fixes it. In 3 weeks, there is once that the PC froze without memory dump or logs in event viewer then I had to force shut down. I read that a lot of Windows 11 have this issue.

The motherboard has HDMI 2.0 while the TV (LG 55UJ6500) doesn’t clarify that on its web site. But I think it should be >=2.0 because it supports 4K@60Hz and HDR. I could turn on HDR in Windows 11 Display settings with 4K resolution.

Different cable or port didn’t work.

Also tried:

[TV side]

• Reset Audio settings

[PC side]

• Update/Reset BIOS.
  • Reflash Intel ME firmware with Asus’s tool.
  • Change the power plan from “balanced” to “high performance”.
  • Uncheck “allow computer to turn off this device to save power” of the Display Audio device.
    (Checked automatically after reboot).

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

(following the above post)

audio_not_migrated.jpg

Location Path:

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

audio_not_migrated.jpg

Location Path:

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

audio_not_migrated.jpg

(it seems if I paste the error message here, in code block or not, the posting will fail.)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

Thank you for the information provided, I will continue checking the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

We have tried to replicate the issue on an Intel® Core i7-1165G7 with driver version 30.0.101.1191 and the issue wasn't present. We connected the test system to a capture card and recorded the audio, checking the recording the audio works as expected following the reproduction steps.

Please try using the latest driver available and check if the issue persists, in case it does, also please try using the BETA driver available in the download center. 

Please perform a clean installation in order to install the drivers. 

1- Download the latest driver from the Download center and save the installer on the computer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', or similar. If not, repeat step 3. Repeat the process until it is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

7- Install the latest graphics driver.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, repeat the Clean installation process using the latest Intel® generic BETA graphics driver available at Download Center.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hi, Josue,

Thank you for your following up as always.

I've been using the latest stable driver 30.0.101.1191 since day one, no luck.

As for the beta driver, it is still 101.1121 released on 11/15/2021, I've tried it before, no change.

I have strictly followed the steps to perform a clean install.

The thing is, as @RonaldM_Intel mentioned in this thread:

"has Intel removed Display Audio support from the Core 11th Gen and 12th Gen CPUs or is this just a driver issue?" - the answer is YES

Currently the driver should be relying on the MSFT Inbox ACX DAC.

So currently no matter what version driver I install,  as long as I use the same Windows 11, the Display Audio driver always uses the same version of " MSFT Inbox ACX DAC".

I would appreciate it if you can give an answer to "Does the audio driver emit silent stream or not?"

FYI, Interestingly, if I keep an IM app named "LINE" running in the background, the audio cutting off issue disappears, as soon as I exit the app, the issue comes back. Apparently LINE emits "silent stream" or something like that all the time.

(If you got time, could you please delete the duplicated posts? sorry for that.)

0 Kudos