Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

UHD 730 HDMI audio cutting out issue

ap2112
Beginner

Hello!

I have encountered a problem when use PC audio with HDMI connection.

I am wondering if I am alone and if there is a solution to address it?

Thank you in advance!

PC Spec

CPU: i5-11400

MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS

Graphics: only Intel UHD 730 from the CPU.

RAM: 8GB DDR4 3600 x 2

Storage: NVME SSD x 1, SATA SSD x 1, HDD x 1

Audio Connection:   PC <---HDMI---> TV

no other audio cable connected.

The problem

Any sound played, the first approx. 0.5s will be cut out.

Sometimes this issue is acceptable, sometimes it's critical.

Here are some scenarios for example:

• playing a song or a movie:
    Because the cutting out is short, basically it is acceptable.
  • playing a pronunciation of a word in a dictionary app:
    e.g. If I play "right", I can only hear "/t/", "/raɪ/" is completely cut off.
    Because I am an English learner, I listen to the pronunciation all the time, this is so critical for me.
  • Instant messaging  apps notification sound:
    The IM app I am using seems to be completely muted, because the notification sound is very short, no sounds at all can be heard.
    I have to check the app to see if there is new messages all the time.  It's very inconvenient.

Some Facts

• The same TV and same HDMI cable were previously used on another PC with GTX1070 HDMI audio, never had the problem.
  • I tried the latest stable Intel and Asus drivers, both have the same result.
  • I found that both Intel and Asus drivers seem to use the same Microsoft driver files:
    audio_driver_comp.jpg
  • Intel's driver release note says it does NOT contain Audio Driver for 11th Gen CPUs:
    Package_Contents.jpg
  • I searched the Internet and I believe this problem is caused by so called "silent stream bug", but Intel's datasheet for 11th Gen CPUs claims that they still support "silent stream", but how?11th-cpus-datasheet.jpg

0 Kudos
29 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

Thank you for all the information provided, I will check the inquiries internally and post back soon with further details. 

Don’t worry about the duplicate post. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

In this case, we can confirm that the processor supports Silent Stream. This is an integrated audio feature that enables short audio streams, such as system events to be heard over the HDMI and DisplayPort monitors. The processor supports silent streams over HDMI and DP interfaces at 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, and 192 kHz sampling rates and silent multi-stream support

Thank you for sharing with us the workaround you found. In this case, our recommendation is to please report the issue to Microsoft. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hello Josue,

Yes I read that in the processor's datasheet.

So do you mean that the processor supports Silent Streams but Microsoft's driver didn't implement it?

If that is the case, I don't think Microsoft is responsible, it is Intel who specified the Microsoft driver after all.

If Intel chooses not to develop a dedicated Audio driver for the processors, at least Intel should pick a proper driver which complies with the processor's datasheet.

Anyway since there is a workaround, this is not a critical issue for me anymore.

If there is some updates on your side, please post here to let me know.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ap2112,

In this case, our recommendation is to keep using the latest drivers and keep checking the download center for the latest releases for your system. 

Also, it is important for you to know that Intel provides the generic driver for our devices, our recommendation to check with Microsoft is to report the audio issue since it could be related to the OS, not to the driver. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @ap2112 

After performing several tests and investigating this issue we have noticed this issue is only reproducible on certain LG displays (monitors and TVs). We tested this on displays form Gigabyte, Asus and Sony and the audio does work fine regardless of the connection type HDMI or DP.

I suggest reporting this to LG as it may require some debugging from their side while we will simultaneously look this from our side.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

Hello, @RonaldM_Intel ,

Thank you for the information.

Since there is a workaround I don't feel so inconvenient in daily use.

If it becomes a critical issue again, maybe I will consider to change the monitor.

Meanwhile I will try future Intel drivers releases to see if there will be a change.

0 Kudos
dontcallmeillcallyou

Hello, @RonaldM_Intel ,

We are having the exact same issue with audio cutting out at the beginning on all 11th Gen Intel CPU's.

We had HP visit our offices on numerous occasions to diagnose the issue where we ran various HP PC's using Gen 10 and 11 CPU's. HP found all 11th gen CPU's experienced the missing audio issue not dependent on the monitor it was connected to. We tested on Samsung, LG and Dell Monitors.

HP found that 11th Gen CPU's use the Microsoft Driver where the 10th Gen use the Intel Display Audio Driver.

Therefore, this issue is worldwide due to this move from Intel to Microsoft Driver.

We have had to return all 11th Gen PC Stock until a new driver is available to resolve this issue.

I hope Intel comes up with a replacement solution very soon!
Or
Microsoft finds a solution to it's current driver.

Why does Intel not supply the audio driver for 11 and 12th gen CPU's anyway????

0 Kudos
TequilaL
Beginner

The issue could be observed on latest and previous generation of Intel CPU and PCH, a lot of notebooks(different brand) will be affected.  The issue might be caused by the power management feature in the driver after Intel moved the in-house driver from Intel to Microsoft In the box driver.  

The possible work-around will need to keep system HDMI signal awake,  or the HDMI signal wake up time will take 0.5~1 second and loss the first audio streaming packets.

A few 3rd party tools can be used, hopeful it is helpful in this issue.

0 Kudos
calair123
Beginner

I just registered to post in this thread.

I just built a PC a week ago with the 12700k and Asus Tuff plus D4 motherboard, and have the exact same issue that audio misses on the initial 0.5 to 1 sec. You can easily test this using the sound volume icon in the desktop taskbar and clicking a different volume level to see if the chime sounds right away or not.

Monitor/TV is the Samsung 40 inch that had no audio problem on two other computers with the old Intel CPUs (no igpu) and Nvidia and Amd graphics cards.

The thing I do not understand from the Intel support is that why Microsoft is responsible when the audio driver was made by Intel.

There is clearly an issue in the Intel IGPU and its driver, and even to this day, there is no fix other than using 3rd party software.

It is sad that the Intel support does not even bother to reply anymore.

0 Kudos