Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

UHD Graphics 630 on my msi gf63 8rd laptop issue

john10
Beginner

I just got this new laptop and was excited to use it, but I've been experiencing some issue and need some pointers.

The laptop has the UHD Graphics 630 as main gpu and a nvidia 1050 4gb for 3d acceleration, there is no way (according to MSI) to be able to force the Intel graphic card to not to be utilized. We have also tried entering into nvidia settings send set nvidia as primary card, however, I do not believe it is using it.

All drivers for the laptop is current.

1. When using Adobe Premiere, moving the program/source monitor panels to 2nd external monitor, and reopen it, it will freeze (adobe felt like there's a bug). Adobe reported in as a bug... The only current work around is to open and close Adobe only when all the windows panel is on the laptop screen. not a big deal just annoying...
  2. So, on the Desktop (without using any software), I've tried simply opening a video file shot with the gh5 as 10bit hlg format, on any other computers I have here, it has no problem opening it, but with this laptop, no matter which video player I tried, i have sound but no video, in fact, with VLC, the screen flickers like crazy and I have to 'end task'.

So, anyone can suggest what else can I do to fix either 1. or 2.?

I think I'm missing video codec but I've installed all sort of codecs with no result. 😞

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
3000021024271.550499978291278E12, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. You mentioned MSI told you that there is no way to force the Intel® graphic card to not to be utilized. Do they mean at software level? Just to let you know, most of the times you will be able to do that in the BIOS, but you will need to verify with them directly how to do that and which options to disable to either use just the Intel® or Nvidia graphics controller: https://www.msi.com/support If by any chance you are able to do that, please let us know the results of testing the videos and the application when using just one of the two graphics controllers. We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. Even though you mentioned that all the graphics drivers are up to date, please install the Intel® version 23.20.16.5038 and NVIDIA Graphics Driver 399.21 provided by MSI: https://www.msi.com//Laptop/support/GF63-8RD#down-driver&Win10%2064 Please look at the note stating that "In order to use the NVIDIA Control Panel, please go to [Utility] page to download and install NVIDIA Control Panel UWP after installing the NVIDIA Graphics Driver. This version is only supported Windows 10 RS4(1803) or later version." If the problem remains, since the laptop works with Intel® UHD Graphics 630, we can try the following Intel® generic graphics drivers: DCH 25.20.100.6577 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28553/Intel-Graphics-BETA-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790 Or Intel® driver version DCH 25.20.100.6519: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28515/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790 Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
john10
Beginner

Thanks for the respond, tried the first 3 links, no luck. 😞 testing the intel beta file now.

As for MSI, they are useless, they basically not even helpful, keep blaming it to Adobe saying it's their software.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
3000021024271.550499978291278E12, You are very welcome, thank you for letting us know those details. I looked again in MSI's web site and I found the NVIDIA Control Panel UWP, it says that "In order to use the NVIDIA Control Panel, please install theNVIDIA Control Panel UWP after installing the NVIDIA Graphics Driver" not sure if you already installed that application, but in there you might find the option to run Adobe just with the Nvidia graphics controller: http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/ap_399.21_P27160_WIN32UX_3.14.1.48(package%20399.21%20P27160)_0x391280ca.zip I also found some options in the Software Manual that might be useful, not sure if they are going to work with Adobe, but it is an alternative, please check pages 27 and 81: http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/nb_swmanual_3.3.zip Please let us know the results of testing the Beta driver once you get the chance. At this point it will be a good option to get in contact with MSI directly to check if there is an option in the BIOS to disable either the Intel® or Nvidia graphics controllers, and if there is no option to ask or confirm why, since most of the boards have that option. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
john10
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

There's no bios setting for the laptop, BUT I solved one of the problem, after installing the MSI nvidia card driver and then the Intel's beta driver, I went into nvidia panel and make sure it uses the high performance card is checked, and from there, my problem with Adobe has been resolved!

Now, the problem is playing back 10bit mp4 videos, I've tried all sort of codec but still no available, will continue to play and see if I can get a result on that soon. thanks again for your quick responses!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi 3000021024271.550499978291278E12, you are very welcome. Perfect, excellent,it is great to hear that the problem with the Adobe application got resolved. In reference to the problem with the videos: Did you test different formats like AVI, FLV, WMV? The problem happens with videos that are store in your laptop or with streaming videos? Have you tried different browsers? Have you used different applications besides VLC? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
john10
Beginner

hi there, hehe, just realized my name was a series of numbers... lol it's Johnny

As for your question on playing back the video, it's on my computer and not streaming, no problem watching any streaming videos via youtube/vimeo, etc.

I've tested the video on VLC 3.0, WIndows Media Classic, the new WIndows Media Player, Quicktime... I did being able to play back with potplayer though...

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi Johnny, Thank very much you for letting us know those details. In this case, based on the fact that the videos work just fine when using Potplayer, it indicates that the graphics driver is working fine and as you mentioned previously, the problem seems to be related to codecs. In this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the developer of those other applications to confirm or verify if there are some codecs needed that you can install to be able to play that video format. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
john10
Beginner

Thanks, i'll reach out to them slowly lol I'm going to also let MSI know that the problem is actually on their intel's driver than the fault of Adobe.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Johnny, You are very welcome. Perfect, that will be a good thing to do because the graphics drivers provided by MSI even though it shows Intel® on them, they are still customized by them, so that will be a pretty useful information for a graphics driver debugging on their side. Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos