Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

UHD Graphics will not support 1440p @ 60Hz over HDMI

DoctorStrangepork

Hello!

I have a purchased a new laptop: Samsung Galaxy Flex alpha: 10th generation i7 processor with Intel UHD Graphics.   Unfortunately I cannot get this laptop to drive my 1440p monitor at 2560x1440 at a refresh rate greater than 40Hz.

The laptop manufacturer has indicated that the HDMI port supports HDMI 1.4b, which should include 1440p at 60Hz.  My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440 with support up to 144Hz.  I am able to run this monitor at 1440p at 60Hz using the same HDMI cable without problem from my desktop.  I have tried multiple cables.  The laptop is the issue.

By default, 1440p is not an offered resolution in windows 10 for this laptop.  Using the custom resolution setting in the Intel Graphics Command Center, I was able to get 2560x1440 by 30Hz working.  I could not get higher without an error "unsupported mode" --also this tool has a bug in that it does not let you delete/remove custom resolutions.

Using the older Intel Graphics Control Panel, I could remove that resolution and try again.  I was able to get up to 2560x1440 @ 40Hz using CVT-RB, but anything above that refresh rate gave me an error that it exceeded bandwidth.

I am attaching a log generated from the Intel tool.  FYI: I have since updated the driver to 27.20.100.8476, but no change.  Hopefully this will be helpful.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DoctorStrangepork

I now have evidence that this is a bug/error in the Windows 10 drivers.

I am successfully running 2560x1440p@60Hz in Linux Mint.  It worked without me doing anything at all.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

DoctorStrangepork, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question about the resolution, keep in mind that the manufacturer of the computer has the option to create customizations on their products, they can enable/disable features and functions as well as all the settings in the BIOS of the laptop, so even if they told you that the computer should support the 1440p at 60Hz resolution, by design there could be certain limitations like for example bandwidth.

Now, after looking at the report you gave us, we can see that there is only one display showing, which is the external monitor, what happened to the built-in display, is there any reason why it is not showing in the report?

Please provide a screenshot of the Intel® Graphics Command Center where we can see that both displays are detected.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel 

0 Kudos
DoctorStrangepork

Thank you for your reply.  While the manufacturer (I suppose Samsung in this case) could provide limitations in BIOS/UEFI, I'm not sure why I would have no issues obtaining this resolution at 60Hz in Linux.  That is quite odd to me.  

There is only one display showing because my laptop lid is closed and I'm operating in single display mode, using only the external monitor.  The built-in display does not appear in either of the Intel tools (control panel or command center) with the lid closed, so this seems to be a limitation of the intel tools.  If there is a reason it does not show there, I do not know.  Regardless, it is not the built-in display that is giving me problems.  When I open the lid, I see both, but the situation for the HDMI port does not improve in Windows.

Is the Custom Resolution Utility an officially recommended tool to resolve these sorts of issues?

I would happy to provide the details from Linux if it would be useful to you in determining what is preventing the resolution from being accepted in Windows while it works fine in Linux.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
DoctorStrangepork

One more bizarre detail: using a very inexpensive USB-C to HDMI adapter I am able to obtain 2560x1440 at 60Hz over HDMI.  The device identifies itself as a Display Port device, therefore I believe the Intel driver does not limit the resolutions over HDMI.  I personally believe there is a bug in these drivers, incorrectly limiting the pixel clock.

This is not an ideal solution, as I have now used my only USB-C port (and some of its corresponding lanes) to obtain a resolution I should be able to get over HDMI directly.  I'm attaching the log, should it be helpful.

In this scenario my lid is closed and the only monitor connected is through the USB-C port into this cheap HDMI dongle.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

DoctorStrangepork, Thank you very much for providing that information and the report.

Just to let you know, Linux and Windows* are 2 completely different Operating Systems, they work in different ways and they used different resources, si the fact that you can get the resolution you need in Linux, does not necessarily mean that it will work in Windows* as well.

According to the report you sent us, the Graphics driver version currently installed is 26.20.100.7870, there is a newer Intel® Graphics driver version available in our web site, 27.20.100.8587, please try a clean installation of that driver and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29808/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=197533

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked at Samsung's web site but I cannot find their Graphics driver, by any chance did you check with Samsung directly to confirm which is the driver version that they validated for your system?

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/galaxy-book-flex-alpha-13-3-inch

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DoctorStrangepork

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, the currently installed "older" graphics driver (7870) is the latest one available from Samsung.  They provide it only through their Samsung Update app (a/k/a System Support Service).

I have tried the 8587 (then rebooted) and did not see any difference.  I have also tried 8476 and 7212 without having 1440p@60Hz available.

I'll try 8587 again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

DoctorStrangepork, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those updates.

Just to confirm, "Is the Custom Resolution Utility an officially recommended tool to resolve these sorts of issues?"

No, it is not recommended because depending on the resolution that you create in there, it might not be supported by the system and that will be considered overclocking, which affects the life span of the Intel® Processor.

"I believe the Intel driver does not limit the resolutions over HDMI." That is correct.

"I personally believe there is a bug in these drivers, incorrectly limiting the pixel clock."

There is no driver limitation, this is all part of the customizations done by the manufacturer of the computer by design, they customized the capabilities of the video ports.

The Intel® Wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your device, if the Graphics driver version 7870 is the latest one validated by Samsung, then that is the proper driver for your computer. In this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Samsung and report this scenario, for them to release a newer driver version for your platform.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos