Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

UHD on pentium 3825U

jpsousadesign
Beginner

Hi,

I've bougth a laptop with a pentium 3825U, a 5th Generation Intel® Processor, and a UHD TV.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/86348/intel-pentium-processor-3825u-2m-cache-1-90-ghz.html

For what I've seen, all 5th Generation Intel® Processors have integrated graphics and support UHD output.

However, I' not able to do  this... This laptop only outputs 1920x1080@60Hz.

The same TV, with the same cable on the same TV HDMI input is able to display 3840x2160@60Hz through a MacBook with an Intel HD graphics, so the problem is with my laptop.

I'm running windows 10 64, with updated drivers.

So what's going on?

intel1.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, 4K@30Hz should, in theory, be possible, but this is not the first time that I have seen issue like this with the 3rd, 4th and 5th gen processors. I think that this is the result of the older, non-DCH graphics drivers that supported these generations (it is with the 6th gen (and newer) processors that the DCH-based drivers can be used).

Here are a bunch of links for related articles that have been published by ICS:

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are using a HDMI connector on this laptop, I am not surprised by this result.

The UHD engine can only output in HDMI 1.4 format, which means that 4K@60Hz is simply not possible. In more-expensive machines, a LSPcon chip is included that takes the UHD engine's DisplayPort 1.2 output - which *can* support 4K@60Hz - and converts it to HDMI 2.0 format. If your laptop provides a DisplayPort output, you could use an external adapter to perform this same conversion. Without this type of output, however, this is not going to be possible.

Sorry,

...S

jpsousadesign
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson thanks for the excelent explanation 👍

Its strange that all the info I've gathered on this processor is so generic. 

So not even 4K@25Hz could be possible through the laptop's HDMI output?

Since the laptop's other display output is a VGA (doesn't have a DisplayPort), should it be possible to run 2 FHD screens @60Hz, plus the laptop screen? Sure, intel's page about this unit says it can support 3 displays, but with what resolution and refresh rate?

C'mon Intel, is it that hard to be some more specific?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, 4K@30Hz should, in theory, be possible, but this is not the first time that I have seen issue like this with the 3rd, 4th and 5th gen processors. I think that this is the result of the older, non-DCH graphics drivers that supported these generations (it is with the 6th gen (and newer) processors that the DCH-based drivers can be used).

Here are a bunch of links for related articles that have been published by ICS:

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos