Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

UHD630: Can't update to latest driver, resolution tops out at only 1920 x 1080

NBick
Beginner

I have a brand new ThinkCentre M720T (i3-8300) connected to a new LG 29WK600-W via DP->HDMI cable.

The ideal resolution for this monitor is 2560x1080 but both the generic Win10 graphics control panel and the Intel UHD graphics control panel are topping out at 1920x1080 (even when using the custom resolution option).

The spec sheet for this machine found in the "Specifications" section at the bottom of this page

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkCentre/ThinkCentre_M720_Tower

indicates it supports resolutions up to "4096x2304 (DP)@60Hz; 2048x1536 (VGA)@50H."

The graphics driver on this machine is currently 24.20.100.6287. I have run Lenovo's update (indicated this was the latest driver) and have attempted to update to DCH 25.20.100.6519 using the .exe file from Intel's website. The latter errors out with a message along the lines that my PC manufacturer does not support / recommend this driver so it fails to install.

What do I need to do to get my machine to output resolution at 2560x1080?!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When using a hybrid laptop (i.e. one that utilizes both the Intel HD Graphics engine and a NVIDIA/AMD HD Graphics engine), you should only be using drivers from the laptop manufacturer (in this case Lenovo). To support laptop-specific features - brightness, backlighting etc. and especially to support switching between engines - manufacturers have to modify the generic drivers from Intel and NVIDIA/AMD to provide this support. When you install the generic, unmodified drivers from Intel (or NVIDIA/AMD), you will be missing this special support and features will stop working. It's probably a good thing that the DCH driver refused to install...

As for your resolution question, this is also controlled by the manufacturer, so you need to be talking to Lenovo.

...S

0 Kudos
NBick
Beginner

I spent more than three hours with Lenovo tech support. They were worse than useless and have punted on the issue.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

They likely need to contact their BIOS team regarding this question...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

One thought: have you downloaded and installed the monitor configuration file from LG? LG calls this a "driver"; it's really not.

Here's link to save you time: https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-29WK600-W.

...S

0 Kudos
NBick
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

After installing this "driver", you have to go into the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and select the necessary resolution. Did you do that?

...S

0 Kudos