Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

UHD630 driver recovery after deletion?

Silversong
Beginner

I have an i5-8400 @2.8 Ghz cpu but no longer have the UHD630 graphics drivers. When I installed my Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti GPU back in 2018 I followed advice to not just disable the integrated graphics, but to delete them and that is all I have in Device Manager/Device Adapters. Fast forward to 2021 and I now am experiencing intermittent freezes and crashes and am trying to trouble shoot the problem by removing my GPU and using only integrated graphics. I have an HP Omen desktop that is no longer under warranty, so support is not available from HP. I have run the DSA but it was not helpful. I have also downloaded the UHD 630 drivers from the HP website, but they fail on installation saying my system does not meet minimum requirements. 

I am running Windows 10, 64 bit, October update. 

Hoping you can offer some help 🙂 If you need more specs, I'll happily supply them.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Normally, if you remove your graphics card, the system will boot with the iGFX engine enabled. This will prompt Windows Update to immediately download and install a driver. To avoid Windows Update getting in the way, use the following clean install process:

1. Download the driver installation package that you want to run. Do not try to install it yet.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug your Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless.
  3. From Device Manager, if the entry is present for the UHD630 graphics, right-click on the entry, select Uninstall Device, checkmark to delete associated software and then press Uninstall.
  4. Once this completes, reboot the PC, keeping the Internet disconnected.
  5. Run the installer for the iGFX package that you want.
  6. Reboot (usually will be asked to do this automatically).
  7. Reconnect Internet access.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

Silversong
Beginner

iGFX? integrated Graphics? Sorry, that's a new term for me 🙂  Since I have an i5-8400 processor that would be a UHD 630 driver package, correct? I'm hoping I have the correct package downloaded from the HP Support website as I could not find it on Intel.

So I can skip step 3 since I don't have UHD 630 drivers installed. Is it at this time I remove my graphics card? Should I disable (or uninstall?) the Nvidea GPU drivers first, power down my PC and then remove the graphics card?

Thank you for helping, Scott!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ya gotta keep up with the acronyms. Intel (he11, the whole industry) thrives on code names and acronyms.

iGFX - Internal Graphics (HD, UHD, Iris, Xe, etc. graphics engines, for example)

dGFX - Discrete Graphics (add-inn PCIe graphics cards, for example)

eGFX - External Graphics (connected via Thunderbolt, for example)

No, don't skip anything. If there is any chance that Windows Update has run since the iGFX was re-enabled, there could very well be a driver package installed.

I was presuming that you had already removed your card before Step 1.

Uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers is unnecessary; they simply won't run while the card is not present.

...S