Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

UHD630 frequency drops on I5 9300h

pcCreeper
Beginner

I hope you are doing well,

First of all my computer is an Asus laptop TUF 505GT, with an Intel I5-9300h, GTX1650, 16gb of RAM and 500gb NVME SSD. 

Lately I've been experiencing extreme aparently random lag when using my pc. I realized the use of the integrated GPU started spiking just by opening a new explorer window, moving the cursor or even if i left nothing but task manager open. I tried everything, even closing task manager didn't change a thing, spikes kept happening.

I finally realized this happened more when I plugged or unplugged the computer from the wall: I started the computer on battery, everything normal, perfect use, I proceeded to plug it in, 100 usage spikes at anytime.

CPU usage is normal, 2-3% and NVIDIA gpu responds well, no high ram usage nor high disk usage. Everything just goes to normal with a reboot, but I dont want to reboot my system everytime this happens.

I reinstalled windows thinking it might be a problem with drivers, installed only asus drivers, but it did not help.

Today I opened GPU-Z and deliberatedly caused the problem and found something interesting. I looked at the Intel GPU clock frequency and saw it at 350Mhz, each time something was moving on screen, but, frequency dropped to 100Mhz and usage jumped to aprox. 100%. 

I rebooted the system, opened GPU-Z and again moved windows on screen, this time frequency did not drop, instead it went up at +1000Mhz and usage was at 1%-5%, completely smooth.

I don't know how to fix this, please help me if you can or have any idea!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, my knee-jerk reaction to your description is throttling is occurring. This is controlled by the laptops EC and their ACPI implementation in the BIOS. Bottom line, this makes it something that you need to be discussing with Asus.

...S

0 Kudos
pcCreeper
Beginner

Hi @n_scott_pearson ,

If you are talking about thermal throttling I can asure you it's not the cause of the problem. I used gpu-z, cpu-z and asus armoury crate to monitor temperatures of both cpu and gpu (integrated and nvidia's) and none of them go above 40ºC (104ºF) when the problem happens. Why would it be thermal throttling when with a reboot everything goes back to normal?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
No, I am talking about power throttling.
...S
0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello pcCreeper,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community Forums.

To better assist you, please provide me with the below reports:

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT)

• Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool download.
  • The diagnostic tool checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features and performs a stress test on the processor.
  • To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Please provide a screenshot of the task manager, to see the spikes in the graphics card utilization.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello pcCreeper,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello pcCreeper,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos