Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Unable to change the VRAM in the latest modern driver( .6471)

MSing26
Novice

recently i update the graphics driver (version .6471) in windows 10 (1809) and I see the my VRAM changed from 2048mb to 128mb. I tried to change it, but failed to do so. That has affect on my games like GTA V, watch dogs 2, fifa 18. Please give me suggestion how to change it in modern graphics driver.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

type systeminformation ,then find components, then on display

onnright HAND side uou will find the graphics vram details

0 Kudos
MSing26
Novice

Please read the question carefully then answer it. Don't share vague answers.​

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

its not vague answer , I clearly studied after only I shared answer , how did you received 2048MB of onboard graphics memory , intel does not provide more 1.7GB of memory ,

changing of graphics memory requires compatible graphics controllers , compatible driver with bios configuration

for information visit these websites

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-hardware/drivers/display/calculating-graphics-memory

sorry I dont answer from further to this question

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

To answer your question, you cannot control the amount of VRAM that is available. The Intel HD Graphics driver dynamically manages the VRAM dedication automatically and will make up to 50% of the DRAM available as VRAM based upon current demands. That is, if you have 8GB of memory in your system, up to 4GB will be made available as VRAM based upon the current demands. Do not think that seeing a low number in this display means that something is wrong; there is nothing wrong and this is NOT slowing down your game (if it is, then this is a bug in your game).

Note that, in many systems, the BIOS allows you to reserve specific amounts of memory to be used by the graphics subsystem. Understand that this reservation is only used while the BIOS is running. Once you boot into Windows, this reservation will be ignored and the Intel HD Graphics driver will manage the VRAM allotment dynamically.

Hope this helps,

...S

MSing26
Novice
0 Kudos