Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Unable to maintain 4k 60hz external display Iris XE Dell XPS 9310

jpc0480
Novice

Short description on my setup:
XPS 13 9310
Dell WD19TB (Thunderbolt) Dock

Primary Monitor: Samsung LU28R550UQU 4K | 60Hz | HDR 10 | DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0
Secondary: Dell S2318H 1080p | 60Hz | HDMI 1.4

My XPS is connected to the Dock with the existing TB connection.

The Dell monitor functions great at 1080 60Hz on a HDMI 2.0 cable.

The Samsung on the other hand is a different story. Connecting the Samsung to the dock in a powered on state nets me 60Hz 4K every time. I can do this with DisplayPort or TB. The issues arise after a reboot.

DisplayPort > DisplayPort

Connecting by Display port both ways from the dock to monitor allows me to maintain 60Hz, but when I reboot I have screen flickering occurring in the bottom left corner of the display.

DisplayPort > TB

TB to the monitor's display port while the XPS is powered on I get 60hz 4K. Once I reboot, I receive 30Hz while I can see 60Hz as an available option in the Graphics Command Center.

So far, I can remedy either situation by removing the cable from the dock and reinserting.

All my devices firmware, software, drivers etc. are up to date as of this post by comparing the drivers available on Dell's website.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jpc0480
Novice

Just to report back for anyone who may have a similar experience - I submitted a ticket with Dell and received a call back today. We did some troubleshooting and it turns out that this is a known event and requires a BIOS update. 

It is manageable. Just annoying. If I turn off the 4K monitor before rebooting, no issues. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you running on the latest BIOS? Both is these scenarios sound like something going wrong during BIOS POST. Have you talking to Dell about this issue? (Hint: you should)

...S

jpc0480
Novice

I am running the latest Bios and firmware for the Dock. 

I attached a GIF to give you an idea of what is happening in the bottom corner. 

Initially I started out with Dell about this, but they pushed me towards Intel as this was display related

0 Kudos
jpc0480
Novice

Just to report back for anyone who may have a similar experience - I submitted a ticket with Dell and received a call back today. We did some troubleshooting and it turns out that this is a known event and requires a BIOS update. 

It is manageable. Just annoying. If I turn off the 4K monitor before rebooting, no issues. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello jpc0480,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

We really appreciate your update on this matter. Hopefully, your recommendation will help other peers that may be experiencing the same or a similar behavior.

At this point, please check with your computer manufacturer, in this situation DELL* for further assistance on this BIOS update.

We hope that you are able to resolve this behavior as soon as possible.

That being said, as you require direct assistance from your computer manufacturer we will no longer monitor this thread.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question and we will be more than glad to assist you.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos