Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Unable to set 3440x1440 resolution and 21:9 aspect ratio - Intel UHD 630

pvulkan
Novice

Hi, I am struggling with setting up the resolution for my widescreen monitor iiyama g-master GB83466WQSU 34'' when connected to my laptop MSI GF-63 8RD. The intel GPU used is Intel UHD Graphics 630.

The issue is that before I installed Windows 10 20H2 update, everything worked just fine (I mean, when I selected only my external monitor and did not use it together with my built-in laptop monitor, I was able to set 3440x1440 resolution just fine).

I am using cable marked as a high speed HDMI cable so I do not suspect this to be an issue (+ as I said, it worked before Win10 20H2 update). When I open Intel Graphics Command Center tool, I can see that in the list of MONITOR supported modes, there is a remark about 3440x1440 100Hz, but I am unable to see this as an option in the resolution list dropdown neither I can change aspect ration from 16:9 to 21:9. The highest resolution I can choose is 3840x2160.

Previously, prior Windows 10 20H2 update (when everything worked) I've manually installed 100.9025 driver (not sure if windows did not install another version by itself later, but the resolution was fine). Now I have 100.9316 installed. Tried to rollback 20H2 update as well as rolled back the driver, tried to re-install the latest driver several times, but no luck.

I am really desperate right now. Is there something I can try or is this a driver issue?

14 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello pvulkan,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

3. If you are using a laptop with this monitor, check with the laptop manufacturer to confirm if the latest Windows version added any kind of limitation or restriction for the resolution, sometimes it happens.

4. If possible, try to connect the monitor to another laptop and/or desktop computer

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
pvulkan
Novice

Hello Deivid,

Thank you very much for the response. I am attaching reports from ISSU and IGCC to this reply.

Regarding the point 3) - I could not find any such information on the web - I'll try to contact their support if they can provide more information about this. 

When in comes to 4) - I just tried another laptop (DELL Precision 3541) with Intel Core i5-9400H and UHD Graphics 630. Connected widescreen monitor worked fine with that laptop. The driver version installed on it is, however, 26.20.100.7262.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello pvulkan, 

Thanks for the information provided, based on it please try the following:

1. Have you tried a BIOS update?

2. Have you tried with MSI drivers (even if are old)?

-MSI website: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GF63-8RD#down-driver&Win10%2064

3. Since the DELL laptop is working with old drivers, try to use version 26.20.100.7985 as a test.

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29465/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

4. The fact that the DELL laptop is working with the monitor and use the same graphics, could mean a problem with the MSI laptop. Could be that the laptop is not compatible with our generic drivers or that the windows update corrupted it, I recommend you to get in contact with MSI just to confirm.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
pvulkan
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Tried all of the proposed steps, but unfortunately it did not help.

Neither the BIOS update or older versions of GPU drivers solved the issue.

I've also installed fresh Windows 10 on the laptop but with no luck (it was the official iso from the microsoft website so it already had 20H2 update pre-installed - maybe I could also try the older version without 20H2 but that would not help me a lot since I will end up in 20H2 sooner or later).

Still waiting the response from the MSI support, but obviously it must be some SW incompatibility issue arised by the system updates.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello pvulkan,

Thank you for the information provided, is very helpful

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello pvulkan, 

While MSI gives you an answer, please double-check the following:

1. Check if there are any drivers and/or firmware updates available.

2. Check the aspect ratio from the monitor (not from the operating system).

3. Check the device manager, and how the monitor is showing.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
pvulkan
Novice

Hi Deivid,

I've tried to install older but completely fresh Windows 10 (1909) and all MSI drivers as are on the official MSI website (Intel driver v. 23.20.16.5038). I've disconnected from the internet so that Windows could not interfere with it's updates.

And the thing is, that even though 3440x1440@30Hz resolution did not appeared in available resolutions, from Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel I was able to set this resolution manually (as custom resolution) while with Scale Fullscreen option selected, the monitor works fine. Higher refresh rates generated error: "Maximum bandwidth exceeded". Even on the display's menu interface I could see these settings.

The weird thing is that after I installed the latest Intel driver (27.20.100.9168) the monitor still worked at previously set resolution (3440x1440), I could see that also from windows "Display settings" - but on the display itself, the resolution was no longer 3440x1440 but 3840x2160 30Hz. This is very strange because monitor was still obviously showing me 3440x1440.

I am attaching screenshots/photos of these settings.

Regarding your questions:

1. I could not find any standalone drivers specifically for this monitor model and for the rest, as described above, I installed all MSI drivers and firmware updates from their website (with exactly those versions).
2. On the monitor itself I cannot change resolution settings, neither aspect ration, but I see the configuration set from windows (see photos in attachments).
3. In the device manager, the monitor is shown as a Generic PnP Monitor

Also generated SSU report for the setup I described above (maybe can be helpful).

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello pvulkan,

Thank you very much for the information.

I will proceed to check this internally and contact you back soon with updates.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
pvulkan
Novice

Hello Maria,

thank you very much for the response - I'll wait for the updates then.

I've just received response from MSI support that they checked the specs and seems like my laptop only supports HDMI 1.4 thus it cannot do 3440x1440. But from the information I was able to find, it can do 4K @30Hz so isn't 3440x1440 less in terms of bandwidth than 4K - is it just some limitation of HDMI 1.4 to not support widescreens or 21:9 resolutions?

But it is interesting that, as I mentioned in my previous post, I can set custom resolution 3440x1440 @30Hz in (old) Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel (with Scale full screen option checked) and seems working fine. So with that said, I am a little bit curious how is that even possible then? 🙂

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

From everything I can see, this resolution should work at 30Hz over a HDMI 1.4 connection.

...S

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello pvulkan, 

Thank you for the information and for letting me know the response from MSI. Since MSI mentioned that the HDMI is 1.4 this could be the reason for the issue.

Also, you were able to change the resolution with the Intel® Graphics Control Panel since it is an old tool and may have some way to voids the restriction or limitation if that change was possible on the previous operating system version. This feature may not be presented with the Intel® Graphics Command Center due to the fact that the manufacturer may not want some setting to change.

My recommendation is to always use a straight connection, use an HDMI cable compatible with your laptop (HDMI 1.4), and use the drivers from MSI first before trying with ours.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
xenzero
Beginner

I have a very similar issue - Supported Modes = 1920 x 1200 (60p Hz), but I am only able to select up to 1280 x 1024. Very frustrating. I'm connected via USB C to a Hub which then connects to the monitor... but I know that is all fine, as I have another laptop which I hook up to the USB C and I get the proper resolution.

So this does appear to be software (perhaps driver) related - but like you I have tried installing old versions and reinstalling new.

Did you find a solution @pvulkan ?

0 Kudos
pvulkan
Novice

@xenzero Unfortunately, I did not. The only thing that works for me right now is to stick with Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel instead of Intel® Graphics Command Center. That way I can at least set the custom resolution to 3440x1440 on 30 Hz (Intel Graphics Command Center will not allow me to do that). I am currently running 27.20.100.8682 driver version. 

0 Kudos
icsi
Beginner

So Intel... is there a solution? 

0 Kudos