Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Unhandled exception at 0x6B6E1093 (ig8icd32.dll)

Kevin_M_8
Beginner

Hi,

Our application is a furniture configuration tool that contains custom 3D rendering code. Recently we've seen a number of graphics-related crashes (sent via crash dumps) inside of ig8icd32.dll. However, since we don't have symbols for this dll, we're unable to see the call-stack to figure out how to fix the issue on our end. The customers have tried updating their graphics drivers, and this doesn't always help. Could you please provide debug symbols for ig8icd32.dll? The version I see in some of the latest crash dumps is 10.18.15.4240.

The customers can't provide repro steps, since the problems seem to happen at random. The best chance we'll have at actually debugging this is to see what specific calls our code is making that lead to the crash, and the only way for us to do that is to use the debug symbols for ig8icd32.dll.

Thank you,

Kevin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Paul_L_Intel
Employee

Thanks for reporting this here. That dll is the shader compiler, which is kind of a strange place to find random crashes. Here are a few thoughts to isolate this further:

• Which OS and graphics parts are you using? You can find the latest reference graphics drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/, just in case you aren't already running on the latest.
  • Have you tried D3D Debug? If you create the device with the DEBUG flag on, it does enough added validation that you might be able to find out a lot more info about what's happening.
  • Do you have any kind of a minimal reproducer case? Even if it's a random crash, getting a small chunk of code will greatly help isolate the problem. If it's a shader, we should be able to get down to a specific shader bytecode. If that's a valid shader, then it may be a driver issue and I'll report that shader to our graphics driver team.
  • We don't often share the driver symbols (and only under NDA), so let's try to better understand the issue first.
  • Feel free to message me back here.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>> However, since we don't have symbols for this dll, we're unable to see the call-stack to figure out how to fix the issue on our end.>>>

You may give a try to methods described in the web links below. I know that your situation is much worse because debug symbols are absent. NT Insider article(the second link) is a lot more informative.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff552143.aspx

http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=202

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_8
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion (and link) to walk the stack. I've tried doing this in the past with limited success, but I'll give it another try.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You are welcome.

0 Kudos
Paul_L_Intel
Employee

I had it wrong - this is an OpenGL dll, not the DirectX shader compiler.

Can you please post the driver version number that you're using? Then, if you have a crash dump file, you can send it to me for us to study more closely.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_8
Beginner

Hi Paul,

Thank you for offering to study the crash dump. What's the best way for me to send the file to you?

The driver version for one of the dumps is 10.18.13.5362 (on an Intel HD Graphics 5500). The crash occurs across a wide variety of versions though.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Paul_L_Intel
Employee

Kevin, I sent you a private message. When you have a chance, please follow the directions there to get an upload link for your crash dump. Thanks! -- Paul

0 Kudos