Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Unstable extended display UHD Graphics 605 driver (25.20.100.6326)

SGrim1
Beginner

Recently I bought a mini PC, a Beelink Gemini N50 (8 GB RAM). The M.2 SSD is 124 GB so I bought a Netac M.2 240 GB SSD to replace the installed SSD. The consequence is a new WIN10 installation (Home 64, version 1803).

The CPU of the Beelink Gemini N50 is the Intel Pentium Silver N5000 with graphics on board (UHD Graphics 605). The Intel graphics driver is version 25.20.100.6326.

I always use 2 displays (extended display) and both PC monitors (EFP) are identical (Digital Display L2000C; 1600 x 1200; 60 Hz).

The display settings in WIN 10 follow the display settings of Intel's UHD Graphics Control panel. So I cannot select 2 PC monitors with an extended display in WIN 10. I have to adjust the Graphics control Panel first.

If I use 2 different PC monitors (different brand and resolution) the extended display is stable. But if I use 2 identical PC monitors the display of the second monitor drop off after a while. Installing the graphics driver with both monitors on (power) will help for some time but after a lot of restarts the old situation is back again. The graphics controller functions like the Beelink Gemini N50 is a mobile laptop.

The graphics driver can not hold the saved profile (extended display) so after every start-up of the system I have to open the Graphics Control Panel again to select the (unstable) extended display. My old mini PC (2005) works flawlessly with both monitors.

I have searched system32 and the registry but the problem seems to be complicated. I have attached Intel's system report of the Beelink Gemini N50.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SEGrimm,

Thank you for posting.

Please, try the following:

Uninstall the current driver version with the following steps:

1. Open the Device Manage.
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. The system must go through a restart to complete the uninstall process.
  7. If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in device manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' or similar. If not, repeat steps 1 through 6.

Then, proceed to install the following driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126788 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 with these steps https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows...

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
SGrim1
Beginner

Hello Amy,

Thank you very much for answering my post!

I have done everything you wrote. There was a problem installing the advised graphics driver 25.20.100.6323 so I have done everything a second time (vulkan-1.dll didn't install well).

The display was stable for about 2 hours but then the second display suddenly disappeared (unfortunately it showed to happen some more times). However, the UHD Graphic Settings Panel don't hold the settings when I restart the PC. So I have to select the extended display again with the help of Intel's UHD Graphic Settings Panel after every start up (normally 2 or 3 times a day). Isn't this a bit strange? I cannot imagine that commercial companies buy desktops for their employees that must be re-adjusted at every startup.

The time between the failures isn't predictable. However, it is difficult to think there is a relation with the software I used (Firefox and Libreoffice writer).

With kind regards, Sydney

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Sidney.

Let's check if the behavior is replicable with the Windows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, use the uninstall steps mentioned in post # 1. Just double check that the graphics controller in device manager is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' or similar.

Let me know if you experience the same results.

Amy C

0 Kudos
SGrim1
Beginner

Hello Amy,

Thanks for the answer! I have tried it before but I have done it now one more time.

WIN 10 cannot detect a second display with the help of the MS Basic Display Adapter driver (Settings/Display).

This new Beelink PC is just released (about 2 weeks ago) so I am probably the first user of this mini PC who uses 2 identical LCD monitors.

That's the reason I try to solve the problem because Beelink itself doesn't support the buyers of their mini PCs with drivers and software.

I suppose they use only "on the shelf" driver and software solutions. Maybe they customize the BIOS a bit (or another company do the job for them).

There is a alert notification in the Device Manager - that wasn't there before - about "Other devices".

It is about the "PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller".

There is further information about the PCI driver (MS Basic Display Adapter: properties => Events).

"Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3184&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\3&11583659&0&10 requires further installation" (Source: Kernel-PnP).

I have restarted the PC and tried to update the MS Basic driver but I have the latest version.

Probably I have to install an Intel driver for the PCI controller but if Intel scans the system I am afraid the online installer will re-install the newest display driver too.

Is there a way to avoid this?

0 Kudos
SGrim1
Beginner

Hello Amy,

A couple of days ago I had informed Beelink about the display problem.

They replied now that they haven't noticed any problem at all.

So maybe it is a hardware failure because I had the same display problem when I used the original 124GB SSD with WIN 10 and drivers installed by Beelink.

I have replaced the "old" SSD to try it one more time (to be sure) but the problem still exist with the original drivers and Win 10 install (build 1709).

By the way, the problem in the Device Manager (unidentified controller) is solved.

WIN 10 build 1803 didn't install the Realtek driver automatically.

Beelink send me 2 links:

I have attached the differences between both Intel scans of the system (comparing both SSD's).

Now I start "studying" all the drivers because it seems that mega.nz hold the drivers of all the mini PC's of Beelink... ;-))

0 Kudos
SGrim1
Beginner

Hello Amy,

To be sure about everything I have formatted the Win 10 partition again and installed a new Win 10 (1809). I even replaced the original 124GB SSD with Win 10 Home that was installed by Beelink to the mini PC to see one more time if I had made a mistake. The situation didn't change. Both Win 10 installs showed the same problem.

So I have installed all the drivers from the cloud that Beelink had send me (mega.nz). I even installed the UHD graphics driver Beelink used (24.20.100.6137).

The result is a stable extended display... The extended display isn't available at startup, I have to select the extended display with the help of Intel's UHD Graphic Settings Panel.

I think that this is, what it is. The UHD Graphic Panel functions like it should be. I can select all the saved profiles and this was impossible before.

I am sorry for all your work but because Beelink's Win 10 on the original SSD showed the problem of the unstable extended display I really thought it was related to a wrong detection of both identical displays or something like that.

Thank you very mucht for all your help! I suppose the question can be closed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure Sydney, you're welcome!

I am glad to hear you were able to track this down. I will mark you post as Correct Answer and lock it.

Amy C

0 Kudos