Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Upgrading desktop to gaming pc

Baker06
Beginner

I have a desktop computer with...

CPU - Intel i7-4790

GPU - Built In Intel HD 4600

Motherboard - Inspiron 3847

Power Suppy - 300W Yeechan

I would like to be able to game and wirelessly do VR. Everything is so laggy and crashes a lot. I am guessing it is my graphics card. I want to buy and new one and am hoping it will fix my problems. By looking at my system will I be able to do VR with a upgraded gpu? I want to get a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Black Gaming 6GB. Will I be able to play VR wirelessly fast at high setting along with other games such as Fortnite and Call Of Duty on mid to high settings smoothly? Any other graphics card suggestions that would outperform that? I am looking under $350. I am also aware I need to upgrade my Power Supply. It is a 300W and my system with the new card will take around 380ish. In the future I would like to get the Ryzen 5 3600 with a AMD compatible motherboard probably the  MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 but im not doing that yet. Anyway I would like a power supply that is compatible with my Inspiron 3847 intel motherboard and AMD motherboard if possible. Also I would like to keep that under 60 at around 40 if possible. Thanks to whom responds

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Baker06

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your inquiries, for gaming and VR Intel recommends a 10th or 11th generation Intel Core i7 or Core i9 processor for best results.

To find compatible motherboards you can explore this link: How to Find Compatible Motherboards for Your Intel® Processor

And for other components, we recommend checking with each manufacturer for compatibility, capabilities, and integration suggestions. For instance, EVGA Tech Support*, DELL* Support. Here you can find links to other computer manufacturer support websites.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Baker06

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now from our end; however, we will leave the thread open for other users to participate. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos