Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Version mix-up - Intel HD Graphics 440 - Driver & Support Assistant

TFurs
Novice

Hello - I have been using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to keep a Lenovo Yoga's Intel drivers updated for sometime and it has worked well. Windows is showing the following versions of the graphics drivers have been updated since 2016 (notice the driver version is 20.19.15.# ).

The screenshot above shows that Windows 10 is running Version 20.19.15xxx of the current driver. The screenshot below shows the Yoga is using an Intel HD Graphics 4400 chipset (DXDiag log is also attached).

Within the last 2 weeks the Intel Driver & Support Assistant prompted me to update graphics driver (this usually occurs when a new Windows 10 version is released) - a screenshot is below. When I try to upgrade the driver, it fails because the driver version is much lower than the current driver (the Driver & Support Assistant is trying to install this driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40] ) which is listed as version: 15.40.38.4963 (2nd screenshot below).

I have attached a DXDiag log. The graphics on the Yoga are lagging since this mix-up started and I want to get the latest driver installed on this Windows 10 system (running 1709 right now). Can you assist in determining why my system running a 20.# driver is being offered a 15.# version? Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

15.40.38.4963 and 20.19.15.4963 are the same, only the four-digit number is relevant.

Check out:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005654/graphics-drivers.html Understanding the Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number

0 Kudos
TFurs
Novice

Thanks for the links! Now the question is why the Intel Driver & Support Assistant keeps telling me I have a new driver (see screenshot below). Is there a bug in the assistant? Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, TF14. Thank you very much for contacting the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than happy to assist you.

This might be an issue with the software. Which is the version of Intel® DSA you are currently using?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
TFurs
Novice

Hello! The PC is running version 3.3.1.3 (screenshot below). Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, TF14. Thank you very much for your reply.

In this case, please provide me with the log files of the Intel® DSA. You can get the file on C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
TFurs
Novice

Hello! I attached the files in the DSA folder. The only file not included was Service.log (WinRAR said it was in use even if I closed the DSA Tray app). Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, TF14. Thank you for the logs.

We will review the information. I will be back to you soon.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, TF14.

During this week, there will be an update for the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant. Please continue monitoring the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ downloadcenter.intel.com for you to update your DSA. Please share with us the result.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
TFurs
Novice

Hello,

I installed the update - version 3.4.0.4 - and DSA is showing all of my drivers are up to date now (the previous version said there were updates and then the install always failed due to the version mixup).

Everything looks good now - Thanks!

0 Kudos