Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Video_TDR_failure mostly when laptop is unplugged

mahendru1992
Beginner

Configuration: - 

Acer Predator Helios 300 (2021)
Intel Core i7 10870h
Nvidia RTX 3060 Mobile GPU 100W TGP
16GB Single Channel RAM 

I get a BSOD in one of the three occasions 

1. When I unplug the laptop from the charger. Either the screen goes black for second or two and then comes back or I get the Video_TDR_failure BSOD. Upon inspecting the event viewer, I've found out that igdkmd64.sys has crashed.
  2. When I change my powerplan from high performance to battery saver. It's almost an instant BSOD. Screen flickers a few times and then a crash. 
  3. Randomly when the laptop is idling on charge, I do get a BSOD, but that's just happened twice till now. 

Steps taken to rectify the problem: - 

1. Updated the graphics card driver to the latest Intel Generic ones. Did not solve the issue. 
  2. Thereafter, uninstalled (via DDU) both the Intel and Nvidia drivers in safe mode. Got a BSOD again, when reinstalling the manufacturer provided intel driver. 
  3. Sys Scannow and DISM commands led to no error or system corruption. 
  4. Performed a memtest84. Zero errors.  

I'm completely at a loss now as to what to do? Can anybody help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shivam_Shobhit
New Contributor I

Hi @mahendru1992 

Hope you are doing well.

As far as I m seeing you are on the right path.  Video_TDR_failure (igdkmd64.sys) is the error in intel graphics driver kernel-mode 64-bit  error which is supplied on OEM basis to the laptop manufacturer.

Check the video in the above link I've provided. It contains all the steps. Do try that and also according to your model your laptop must be under warranty so just contact Acer support. 

Hope this will solve your issue. 

Do write back if any further help needed.

Regards,

Shivam _ Shobhit 

0 Kudos
mahendru1992
Beginner

Already did all the steps mentioned in the video. Do you think this is a hardware issue? 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

mahendru1992, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the problem with the TDR failure persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mahendru1992
Beginner

unfortunately yes, the problem still exists 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

mahendru1992, We are sorry to hear the issue remains.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform, especially, like in this case, that the computer is working with a hybrid graphics configuration, both Intel® and Nvidia.

Even though you mentioned that you already try to install the latest graphics drivers from Intel® and Acer, just to make sure, I looked in Acer's website and the latest Intel® graphics driver that they have available is version 27.20.100.8280, which is the proper drivers for your system that was tested and validated by them, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8376?b=1

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

If the problem persists, then we can try a clean installation this time of the Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9466:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

If the issue remains, then the next thing to do will be to get in contact with Acer directly to gather the instructions on how to update the BIOS to the latest version, to report this scenario, to verify if they might have a different driver version for you to install and if necessary to take the computer to them for a physical inspection since the problem, as it was mentioned on this thread previously, could be related to a hardware component and the warranty options provided by them might be needed on this scenario.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello mahendru1992, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello mahendru1992, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos