Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Video freezes in full screen

Tigertown
Beginner

Hi, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.  I have an HP Envy 17" touchscreen i7 4700MQ CPU 2.4 Ghz Windows 8.1 laptop 16 GB ram that has an Intel HD Graphics 4000 card in it.  On youtube, my video freezes in full screen.  The video will stutter for a few seconds then freeze and lock up my screen.  The audio keeps on playing.  I've been down every route over the last couple months, doing everything in Chrome, even reinstalling it fresh (I've since found out this freeze happens in Firefox as well, and even offline watching videos with Windows player classic, etc.).  This only happens when I am in full screen.  I ran hardware tests on the entire laptop including the graphics card and can find no errors.  My graphics card drivers are up to date.  I see in different internet forums people are experiencing this problem but no one ever has a solution.  Was wondering if anyone could offer me a solution here.  This only happens when I'm in full screen, especially on youtube no matter what browser I use, and it even happens when I am playing movies through my PC (non-browser).  Biggest symptom - when in full screen, video stutters for a few seconds then freezes and the audio keeps playing with no stuttering in the audio.  Would appreciate any help anyone could offer, thank you!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Tigertown, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs"

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Tigertown
Beginner

The laptop is about 3 1/2 year old.

Always worked great, never an issue, mostly used for youtube and web page surfing (I am not a gamer at all).

The issue started around August, happened rarely and gradually has been becoming more frequent as the days and weeks have passed.

No recent hardware or software changes, the laptop is only used for surfing yahoo, youtube, netflix and watching movies through media player.

0 Kudos
Tigertown
Beginner

Also I should add that I am the sole user of this laptop, there is no one else logging on or using the laptop, so no one else has come on and made any changes to the laptop without my knowledge.

0 Kudos
Tigertown
Beginner

I think this is the SSU thing you wanted.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Tigertown, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the SSU report, the Graphics driver currently installed on the computer is version 10.18.10.3277. We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on HP's web site and the Graphics driver they have available is version 10.18.15.4248 Rev, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-touchsmart-17-j000-notebook-pc-series/5396623/model/5450031/swItemId/ob-153563-2

If the problem persists, then we can try again a clean installation of the Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 15.40.47.5166:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29971/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-

To run a memory test will be a good thing to do, like for example the one from Windows*, also, we do have a tool called Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit so if the Intel® Processor passes the test then we can rule out a possible hardware problem with it, once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Tigertown
Beginner

Thank you, I will keep you posted whether these steps are succsessful or not.

0 Kudos
Tigertown
Beginner

Good afternoon, Albert!

I performed the clean uninstall and install of the updated video driver, and so far so good!

Played the videos that I knew for a fact the laptop froze while running in full screen, and no freezing issues since the install of the updated video driver.

Wanted to thank you for your help and guidance through this issue once again, your knowledge and assistance is so greatly appreciated!  

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Tigertown, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those results.

Perfect, awesome, it is great to hear that the problem with the video getting freeze at full screen got fixed after doing a clean installation of the Intel® Graphics driver and now the system is working properly.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos