Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Video tdr failure if I update my Graphics Drivers - what could be the cause?

THawk4
Beginner

If I update my graphics drivers from the standard Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor to the official Intel ones, my whole laptop freaks out and ends up in a loop of blue screens caused by a Video TDR Failure. I've stopped this by reinstalling windows and preventing the update from installing, but is there a way to install this without it breaking my laptop?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Use the graphics driver(s) provided by your laptop manufacturer, and not the Intel generic driver.

Doc

0 Kudos
THawk4
Beginner

It's an Intel graphics card, and the update is coming from windows update. The issue happens when the driver is specific to the card, the generic windows display adapter that hasn't been updated is the only one that doesn't cause issues.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Download the latest driver from your laptop manufacturer,

disconnect from the net,

uninstall all intel graphic drivers until you get to the Microsoft basic display adapter

install the driver you downloaded

reconnect to the net

Doc

0 Kudos
THawk4
Beginner

I tried this and it made the screen go black and flashed multicoloured pixels

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

What is your full laptop model and processor model? and what Windows version and build number are you running?

Are you sure you have followed the steps provided by Al.Hill and installed only drivers from your laptop manufacturer website, not Intel website?

Can you share the link of the driver you are installing?

0 Kudos
THawk4
Beginner

Model: HP Pavilion 15-cs2039na

CPU: Intel Core i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz

Graphics Cards: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (3 GB GDDR5 dedicated);

Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (integrated)

Windows 10 Home x64, Build 18363.657

Drivers were installed from here: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-cs2000-laptop-pc/26122239/model/32278194

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You did not mention that you had dual graphics.

Use both the intel driver and the nvidia driver from the HP website.

If you still have problems, contact HP for support of their laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos