Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

W10 HD 630 driver issue at 3440x1440

asapuntz
Beginner

Asus Z170-E motherboard w/ i7-7700K (HD 630 GPU), W10

Motherboard HDMI out produced 3440x1440 with LG 34WL75C-B for 1+ years using "standard" W10 HD 630 and Generic PnP monitor drivers.

In July 2021, LG went away, W10 upgraded to 21H1. Connected (same HDMI cable) to Acer ED347CKR bmidphzx. Video is vertically squashed, best available resolutions is 2560x1440.

Updated monitor driver to ED347CKR, Intel graphics driver from 23.x to 30.0.100.9684, several HDMI cables, no improvement.

Only thing that "works" is to disable HD 630 driver in device manager, but W10 reverts on reboot.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello asapuntz,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?v=t 

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html 

3. Have you updated your BIOS?

4. Have you updated Windows, including optional updates?

5. Have you tried with a Display Port cable?

6. Have you tried with the drivers from ASUS, as a test?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
asapuntz
Beginner

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

see attached

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

see attached

3. Have you updated your BIOS?

Yes (no updates since 2018, see attached)

4. Have you updated Windows, including optional updates?

Yes

5. Have you tried with a Display Port cable?

Motherboard doesn't support DP

6. Have you tried with the drivers from ASUS, as a test?

latest "VGA" drivers for Z-170E are dated 2017 (22.20.16.4691), older than W10 default

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello asapuntz, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
asapuntz
Beginner

Responses provided to previous post.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello asapuntz, 

In order to investigate further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Are you able to customize the resolution with the Intel® Graphics Command Center?

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056144/graphics/legacy-graphics.html

2. Have you tried with a different monitor?

3. Are you able to try with a different computer/laptop connected to the Acer ED347CKR bmidphzx?

4. Have you contacted Asus to confirm that the monitor is compatible with the motherboard?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
asapuntz
Beginner

1. Intel GCC makes custom settings available. I haven't found a set that works

2. As stated in the original post, LG monitors work fine.

3. Yes, a 2015 MBP (DP) and a Dell Latitude 5420 (HDMI) work fine with the Acer.

4. What would make it compatible?

Some observations of the EDID detailed timing descriptors:

LG has 3440 modes that run at 319.75MHz and at 265.25MHz

Acer has a 3440 mode that runs at 533.12MHz

What are the limits of HD 630 vs Iris Xe?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello asapuntz, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.    

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello asapuntz, 

In order to continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Are you trying to run 3440x1440 at 60Hz or 24Hz? Are you able to try at 24Hz?

2. Are you able to confirm if the current HDMA cable is a 2.0 version or try with a 2.0 HDMI version? We recommend trying version 2.0 since it has enough bandwidth to display the resolution wanted.

Also, here you can see the graphics details of the Intel® HD Graphics 630 and Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics:

1. Intel® HD Graphics 630:

- Max Resolution (HDMI)‡ 4096x2304@24Hz

- Max Resolution (DP)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz

- Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz

2. Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics:

- Max Resolution (HDMI)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz

- Max Resolution (DP)‡ 7680x4320@60Hz

- Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz

You can see more details at the following link:

- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=196655,97129

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
asapuntz
Beginner

1. No 3440 modes are offered by the Intel GCC when connected to the Acer. I think you already have the EDID info from the display, maybe you can suggest alternate settings?

With the LG, I believe it's running at 50p. 23, 24, 25, 29, and 30 are in the refresh rate drop-down on the General tab, but they produce "squashed" images. Information tab shows 3440 modes with 50, 60, and 85Hz.

2. I have no way to test HDMI cables other than to demonstrate that they all work fine with the Dell Latitiude 5420 / Iris Xe.

Don't know if Max Dynamic Freq correlates to bitclock, but Xe max is <20% better than 630.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello asapuntz, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello asapuntz, 

Based on the investigation, looks like the driver for the Acer monitor are very old (for Windows 8), I recommend you to check with Acer and ask for any new drivers and try one more time. 

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos