Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

When I write "qsub -I -l walltime=24:00:00" before program execution, the terminal screen becomes unresponsive after program execution. Why?

SSabu
Beginner

I keep walltime 24 hours by "qsub -I -l walltime=24:00:00" and then run my code in the allotted node.

After the code finishes running before walltime, the screen stops responding to keyboard and I can't write any commands. Due to that I can't logout of the node and release the resources too.

I closed the window and logged in through another terminal window. Then command qstat shows the node still working in STDIN mode. This confirms that the node is yet not released.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Terminal time out may happen if there is no activity on the terminal for a long time.

STDIN means your code is still running in the node.

To get the node name, type the command below:

qstat -xf <your_job_id>

Node name will be in the parameter called <exec_host>.

ssh <host_name> will help you to enter in to the node where your job is running.

An easy way to submit your job is to wrap up the whole code into a script file and submit from the login node.

Please follow the steps below:

Lets say, 'my_python_code.py' is the file you want to run.

1. From the login node, open a text file as 

vi my_job

2. Add the below details:

#PBS -l walltime=24:00:00

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR 

python my_python_code.py

3. Save the file

4. Submit the job as :

qsub my_job

5. To check the status you can use 'qstat'

6. After completion, you will get an output file and error file where you will get the logs.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to come back to us in case you face any issue.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Could you please confirm if the solution provided is helpful.

Please be informed that the thread will get closed within 2 business days assuming that the solution provided was helpful.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Since we have not received a response, we are closing this thread with the assumption that the issue got resolved. Feel free to open a new thread if you face further issues. 

After case closure, you will receive a survey email. We appreciate it if you can complete this survey regarding the support you received.

0 Kudos