Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

When is Intel going to make it standard to use HDMI 2.0 ports on ALL motherboard?

STarr
Beginner

Hi, I have an issue with the Intel UHD 630 ondie GPU. Here's my list on issues.

1. As we all know it's the WORST graphic/display option anyone can use.
  2. If you're like myself and want to play 4K HDR content at 60 FPS ALMOST NO INTEL MOTHERBOARD HAS HDMI 2.0 PORTS and most 4K TVs don't have display ports. We want more choices for motherboards that have HDMI 2.0 other than a couple MINI ITX junk models.
  3. Why does Intel have to be so GREEDY?????? We already PAY you for the rights to use your crummy SGX instruction set and you make playing a Blu-Ray discs almost impossible. Why not allow us to use a discrete GPU for AACS protection?????
  4. Why don't you make it clear that if we want to play Blu-Ray discs and do 4K HDRI at 60 FPS we need a motherboard with HDMI 2.0 or at least have one of the very few TV sets that actually carries a display port?????????? This would save us a lot of time, MONEY and grief.

Please Intel stop being so GREEDY!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So let's be clear. No (none, zero, nada) Intel Motherboard products - that is, no motherboards built by Intel - has support for HDMI 2.0. HDMI 2.0 simply did not exist when Intel stopped making motherboards. If you didn't catch the subtle message I am sending you, let me be clearer: Do not call them "Intel Motherboards". Intel did not make them. Intel had no control over their design. If you want, you can refer to them as "Intel-based motherboards".

Ok, why am I so blatantly making that distinction? In future generations, Intel processors will be able to output a HDMI signal themselves. The existing processors only output DisplayPort 1.2. In order to support a HDMI 2.0 connector, the motherboard must include a LSPcon IC that performs this level of conversion. If a latest-generation board has an HDMI connector and it does not support HDMI 2.0, then it is NOT the fault of Intel; it is *exclusively* the fault of the board manufacturer!!!

Bottom line, take your misdirected and misguided comments and go elsewhere.

...S

(I do not work nor speak for Intel)

0 Kudos