Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Where is Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Microsoft Windows 8?

idata
Employee

I seached within Intel Support and what I got were Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller drivers for MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller

Microsoft Windows 8 was released yesterday, October 26 and where is the compatible driver for it?

Could an Intel technical support representative feedback to technical support about this problem?

253 Replies
idata
Employee

However, getting the Intel USB 3.0 driver to work in Windows 8 as user "ekko" detailed is just a workaround (or hack). I appreciate the help you are giving. But if it was that easy, why wouldn't Intel release the damn thing like that? I want my drivers to be validated by Intel, and digitally signed. I hope they release a proper driver soon.

I totally agree with you. If it were that easy, why wouldn't Intel release an updated driver compatible with Windows 8 before I posted it on this forum?

To the best of my knowledge (and do correct me if I'm wrong), Microsoft requires that all device drivers have to be digitally signed for 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and later. Am I right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ekko Thanks for your help it resolved my issues with the displaylink dock using usb3. The link below is everything you need with all included modded files. These drivers are different than the ones MS provided. Don't know what bowie talking about.

http://www.2shared.com/file/oElzAmog/WIN8_USB_3_11_12_MOD.html WIN8_USB_3_11_12_MOD.zip download - 2shared

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am going to see if these integrate into the windows 8 image correctly as a boot driver. You can work around them being unsigned in the OS, never tried as a boot driver though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Success

I integrated the modified Windows 7 drivers into boot.wim and now installing Windows 8 directly from USB 3.0 on an Intel port works just like it did in Windows 7. You have to use the /forceunsigned switch but that was really the only change in procedure from the Windows 7 version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please explain "I integrated the modified Windows 7 drivers into boot.wim". I'd appreciate a step by step. Thanks

If I install the windows 8 upgrade, can I install those drivers from

http://www.2shared.com/file/oElzAmog/WIN8_USB_3_11_12_MOD.html WIN8_USB_3_11_12_MOD.zip download - 2shared directly? Will my USB 3.0's function as they do now in W7?

On another note. I was trying out IE10 in W7, and found I could not reply to this thread. The reply button just sat there. Went back to IE9 and now could reply. What's up with that??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Keep in mind that all I did was enable installing Windows 8 from USB 3.0 Intel chipsets. This has no effect on the installed OS, Windows 8 will still use the generic USB 3.0 drivers.

http://forum.xbitlabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=288325# p288325 HERE is what I did.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oh, I see. This was just to install from USB 3. I was . Thanks for the reply. Do the USB 3's work correctly now in W8? or is this issue still present?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

These drivers are in boot.wim, not install.wim. Combine that with the fact that they do not have valid signatures and the OS completely ignores them once installed. The trick above only addresses installing windows 8 from Intel USB 3.0 ports.

If you want to use these drivers in the OS I think you have to disable driver signature checking first and then force install them, I do not recommend this.

I do not know why Windows 8 to go works from USB 3.0 but you cant install from these same ports or why Intel would abandon their own NEW hardware like this but I have a feeling it has something to do with an agreement between the two to push Windows 8 to go and thunderbolt. The only other explanation is that they are both just really bad at catching problems like this and I cant accept that both of them are this inept.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried doing the process where I modified the drivers, but now I can't even use the USB ports as 2.0 - it seems there isn't even power going to those ports. After going through all of the steps, I looked at the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Properties and under the Events tab it shows:

11/29/2012 11:34:33 Device configured (oem22.inf)

11/29/2012 11:34:34 Device not started (usb3xhc)

11/29/2012 11:34:34 Device installed (usb3xhc.inf)

When I highlight the 'Device not started' line the information pane shows:

Device PCI

\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_20328086&REV_04\3&11583659&0&A0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem22.inf

Class GUID: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

Service: iusb3xhc

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters:

Problem: 0x15

Any ideas on what's going on?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@ Aaron, I don't know what you did wrong. My directions are only related to installing windows from USB 3.0 and would not have any impact on the generic USB drivers once installed. If you tried forcing the modified drivers to install after installing windows I did warn against this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I followed the instructions that ekko posted earlier. I was under the impression that installing the Windows Extensible Host Controller using that method would enable USB 3.0 on my system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@ carminus, thanks! That fixed the issue for me. My USB 3.0 drive is back in business

0 Kudos
GCatt
Beginner

I just came across this on Intel's web site:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033870.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033870.htm

This seems to indicate that the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.0.6.245 doesn't have an issue with Windows 8. Maybe all one has to do is upgrade to driver 1.0.6.245 on your Windows 7 system, and then it will then work for the Windows 8 upgrade? Has anyone tried this?

0 Kudos
TSilv5
Beginner

Thanks it worked. I had to repeat to Hub root. Now i have fully USB 3.0 working, but not thanks to Microsoft or Intel or Gigabyte...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tiago Silva wrote:

Thanks it worked. I had to repeat to Hub root. Now i have fully USB 3.0 working, but not thanks to Microsoft or Intel or Gigabyte...

I have many "Hub roots" listed in the device mgr, but none specifically listed Intel Hub Root. Of which do you speak? I'm trying to get my external hub to work right this way but I can't seem to get it to work. I definitely seem to need that driver for USB 3.0 support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you mean that you applied ekko's fix/workaround?

Have you tried testing the USB 3.0 speeds? What are they like?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have many "Hub roots" listed in the device mgr, but none specifically listed Intel Hub Root. Of which do you speak? I'm trying to get my external hub to work right this way but I can't seem to get it to work. I definitely seem to need that driver for USB 3.0 support.

Does your computer have native Intel 7 series chipset?

0 Kudos
TSilv5
Beginner

Yes. i applied ekko's workaround, then after that had to repeat to hub that had a warning. Now usb 3.0 works as worked with Windows 7.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes. i applied ekko's workaround, then after that had to repeat to hub that had a warning. Now usb 3.0 works as worked with Windows 7.

What do you mean by "Now usb 3.0 works as worked with Windows 7"? What speeds to you get? Are they USB 3.0 speeds?

0 Kudos
TSilv5
Beginner

I have speeds around 65-125 MB/s where before i couldn't pass the 35 MB/s.

If you want faster speeds you have buy better disks. USB 3.0 doesn't give you top speeds for itself. Expensive disks can reach faster speeds...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have speeds around 65-125 MB/s where before i couldn't pass the 35 MB/s.

Previously, were you using the USB 3.0 device driver that was included in Windows 8?

0 Kudos