Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Where to download igdkmd64.sys for Windows 7 Pro

GRobe2
Beginner

Hi,

On my 6-year-old Latitude E5520 I have the latest Win 7 version of igdkmd64.sys, June 1 2015, no longer supported by Intel. Have been getting repeated STOP BSODs, with no specific error message. If my driver is simply corrupted there should be some place I can download a clean one. My Dell Latitude supposedly has a recovery partition, but I don't know how to access it. There is no restore point that would fix this, as this is a recent issue but the driver is 3 years old. Plus I checked my only two restore points and they're not relevant.

Of course I might have a hardware problem -- metal fatigue crack, whatever -- but if not, simply refreshing the driver should resolve the issue. Why is it so hard to find a simple download of this one file? Downloads.Intel.com seems to have only the 32-bit version, or the 64-bit version for more recent Windows versions. Different file size. Mine is 5.13 MB (5,384,176 bytes).

TIA! Don't make me beg! I'm limping around in Safe Mode. I saw a post where someone said they could use standard VGA, so I can try using a smaller older monitor -- my new one is HDMI only. But I don't know what else I'm locked out of when using Safe Mode.

Gregg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

Doc

GRobe2
Beginner

Hi Doc! Thanks for jumping in so fast!

I have an Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.70 GHz. It's a quad core.

I might have resolved the issue by renaming the suspect .SYS with *OLD and copying in place the exact same size and date SYS from a new HD I started setting up, which I forgot I had. Time will tell... Testing now...

Gregg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This is your processor:

https://ark.intel.com/products/52231/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-2620M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Product Specifications

It supports Intel HD 3000 graphics.

You can find the drivers here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/81500/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-2nd-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-3000.html Support for Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

By the way, if you download the w7 64-bit zip package, open the zip, look in the graphics folder and you will find igdkmd64.sys.

Doc

0 Kudos
GRobe2
Beginner

Thank you for finding and posting that link under "you can find the drivers here". However, when I go there it says "https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005733/graphics-drivers.html This product is discontinued. See available support options". I found this website by following the link from the last three words there.

With all this said, it looks like I did solve the problem by finding an uncorrupted version of the driver right here in my own house! My computer has been sitting here for over an hour without any BSOD. It wasn't going five minutes without one before.

I had been running out of hard drive space so I bought a larger hard drive and a supposedly OEM/legal Win7 installation disk. But I have 480 GB of applications and files, and course I'm busy with work, so I have been putting off the switchover.

I trust that following your other link would have made the same file available to me, so thank you. Maybe this will help others also.

Gregg
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
GRobe2
Beginner

Oh, gosh, you are sure right. I ran the 32-bit version without noticing that it said 32-bit, and it said that my system didn't meet the requirements, and I forgot to go back and look down further down the list for a 64-bit version. User error!

0 Kudos