Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Why I can't download the new version of UHD Graphics 620

MToml5
Beginner

I have been able to download it before. Now it claims that my system is not set up for it. This is a Lenova Ideapad and all the drivers are workly perfectly.

0 Kudos
36 Replies
MToml5
Beginner

According to the Installon Wizard, I should "Delete the Intel® DSA temporary files". The default location is "C:/ProgramData/Intel/DSA".Is this advsiable ? It is called "Latern Rock" when I I open DSA. Thank you

0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner

The Driver version is 26.20.100.7262. Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure what iDSA has to do with a graphics driver. Are you saying you are having a problem with iDSA?

As for the error message you might get from a graphics driver installation package, if the manufacturer has installed a driver customized in any way, this will prevent the generic drivers from the Intel site from being installed. If you have a laptop, this is typically the case. There are ways to get around this, but understand that, if this is a laptop, doing so could stop certain features (brightness control, switching between graphics solutions, etc.) from working properly.

If you want to proceed, here is the process you need to follow:

1. From the Intel site (downloadcenter.intel.com), manually download - but do not attempt to install - the driver package you would like to install.
  2. Disconnect completely from the Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless support.
  3. From the Apps and Features applet, if there is NOT an entry for an Intel Graphics Driver package, go to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall this intel Graphics Driver package.
  5. Reboot, keeping Internet disconnected.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, if there is a Microsoft-supplied (NOT Intel-supplied) graphics driver assigned to the Intel HD Graphics device, go to Step 9.
  7. Uninstall this Intel-supplied driver (check the box to specify to delete all driver software for the device).
  8. Go back to step 5.
  9. Install the driver package that you downloaded in Step 1.
  10. Reboot (should be asked to do so, but do one regardless).
  11. Reconnect Internet. Replug Ethernet cable and/or enable wireless support.
  12. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
Thank You so much for your timely answer. It has Intel UHD Graphics 620, version 26.20.100.7262. I am very hesitate to uninstall as the Installation Wizard called for removing the DSA (Lantern Rock) in the context menu. Prior to all this, I simply installed the new version on top of the old. Do I risk losing the original UHD Graphics 620 with no recourse ?
0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner

Thank You so much for your timely answer. It has Intel UHD Graphics 620, version 26.20.100.7262. I am very hesitate to uninstall as the Installation Wizard called for removing the DSA (Lantern Rock) in the context menu. Prior to all this, I simply installed the new version on top of the old. Do I risk losing the original UHD Graphics 620 with no recourse ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Every time you install an updated driver, you lose the previous. No worries. You can alw​ays reset to the version on your vendor's site.

...S

0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
My machine (Lenova Ideapad, laptop) is out-of-warranty. Does this affect the outcome ? Tanx.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, there are alternate sources if you vendor can't/won't supply​.

...S

0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
Hi again and thanks for the support.Today while trying to download software again, the message was:(the messages changes everytime I try) "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer"\ What do you make of this ? I think I may have to stick with the old version of UHD 620. Also I beat off a trojan attack a week ago and now I wonder if this affects anything. "Welcome to the Machine" Pink Floyd
0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
What do you think of this from 12/18/19 ? (from Device Manager (Events) Lower Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5917&SUBSYS_396517AA&REV_07\3&11583659&0&10 was started. Driver Name: oem15.inf Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} Service: igfx Lower Filters: Upper Filters:
0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
Perhaps I have the right device and version installed after all. The event is dated 12/18/19 and the update is dated 10/11/19
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. The Intel Graphics Driver Version: 26.20.100.7262 is the latest driver released for Windows 10 in S mode.
  2. If your Windows is installed in S mode, you can't update your driver.

Leon

0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
Hi, I'm a Noobie at this My last update for UHD 620 was on 12/18/19. Do I need to switch out of "S" Mode ? All non-Microsoft apps (Webroot Malware, AVS Video conversion, etc.) work fine. I don't understand. Why was the previous Intel update allowed ? Is this Microsoft making things more difficult than usual ? Thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
This is more useful. THANK YOU for taking your time today ! (….I might learn something new, lol)
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! No, this is Microsoft making a more-minimal version of Windows available for the OEM (new PC) market. They want to make less available in the version of Windows that comes with the PC so that they can get folks upgrading through their App Store - and hopefully purchasing other apps that cost real money. Their app store has not been the revenue stream that they want it to be. BTW, if you have a new PC and it came with Windows S, I believe that, as least right now, you can upgrade to the non-S version (i.e. standard Windows Home) for free.

So let's go back to the beginning (where be probably should have started). What kind of PC do you have? Specifically, is it a laptop or an All-in-One or is it a just normal, desktop PC? What is the model number and who is the manufacturer? Does it have two graphics engines? That is, does it also have NVIDIA or AMD graphics?

...S

0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
Microsoft (deleted) Store says "Your Device is Not Running in S Mode" (although I lost the Right Click Functions and the Extract All Functions in November-I think this is due to one of their updates.I keep CMD Prompt Administrator on the Taskbar to get around this.) This is a laptop- Lenova Ideapad 330-15IKB (Type 81DE) Intel UHD Graphics 620 is the only device listed under "Display Adapters" . It does not have NVIDIA or AMD graphics. Thank you for helping the Noobie. And for allowing me to vent on Microsoft.
0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
Also,the laptop was purchased in 2018, well before Microsoft's ploys other than WinZip. It is out of warranty. Lenova Diagnostics say all the drivers are up-to-date.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, next question is whether Lenovo modified the Intel HD Graphics driver to support any special features of this laptop. Only they can answer this question; you should call them directly; it takes too long to get any kind of answer from their support folks when using their forums.

If their answer is no, you can uninstall the existing driver and then install the latest available driver from the Intel site. Actually, if their answer is yes, then you could still do this, but you would lose the special features that the original drivers provided.

...S

0 Kudos
MToml5
Beginner
Thanks again. Lenova is in a one-hour holding pattern on support calls. I'll keep trying or else I'll call on Monday (should be a tooth-pulling experience; don't get me started on AT@T as an ISP. LOL)
0 Kudos