Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Why can't I install latest driver for Intel Graphics processor? igfx_win10_100.7870.exe

JPalc
Beginner

I get a message saying contact my graphics manufacturer, but that is Intel...Here is some systm info:

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"Intel Corporation"

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"

BIOS Version/Date:"Intel Corp. BECFL357.86A.0077.2019.1127.1452 , 11/27/2019 12:00 AM"

CD or DVD:"Not Available"

Embedded Controller Version:"3.20"

Platform Role:"Desktop"

Processor:"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz , GenuineIntel"

Secure Boot State:"On"

SMBIOS Version:"3.2"

Sound Card:"Intel(R) Display Audio"

Sound Card:"Realtek High Definition Audio"

System Manufacturer:"Intel(R) Client Systems"

System Model:"NUC8i7BEH"

System SKU:"BOXNUC8i7BEH"

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The latest validated driver for your graphics is 7529:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29230?product=126140

Try that one.

If it does not work, you may want to try turning OFF secure boot, and then try the install, then turn secure boot back on.

If this does not work, I have a method we can try.

Doc

0 Kudos
JPalc
Beginner
I turned off secure boot...and tried the new driver...still get message saying driver isn't validated for this hardware. Ready for next method. Joe
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, First, the disclaimer. Intel's information on installing DCH drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031275/graphics-drivers.html

Specifically: Can I do ‘INF/Have-disk installation’ for the graphics Windows DCH Driver?  No. This method bypasses the Intel installer, which is designed to install the new DCH graphics drivers. Doing this can result in minor to catastrophic issues on your system and system instability.

So, Intel says NO, and that this can result in minor to catastrophic issues. Catastrophic?  In my best "Top Gear Clarkson" what is the worst that could happen?

Ok, with that out of the way, I have done this about a dozen times, and never had any problems. Maybe I am just lucky. But, just in case, have a backup.

Here is how to do it.

Download the latest DCH driver zip file, which should now be in your "Downloads" folder.

Extract the zip file to a FOLDER.

Open device manager by right-click on the START button.

Select "Display Adapters".

Double-click on the "Intel Adapter".

Select the "Driver" tab.

Select "Update driver".

Select "Browse my computer".

Select "Let me pick".

Select "Have disk".

Browse to Downloads, FOLDER, Graphics, and select the "cui_dch.inf", OPEN, OK, Next

The driver should install...

Report back.

Doc

0 Kudos
JPalc
Beginner

I think I am going to officially chicken out at this point. My graphics seem to be working just fine with the drivers I have, and if Intel's own update tool can't update the drivers, that feels like asking for trouble. I'll hang on to your answer, and if I do run into a problem down the road, maybe I will try it.

Or maybe I'll just write to my friend Craig Barrett and get him to help me out.

Joe

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I thought Craig was enjoying retirement. If you do have a pipeline to him, tell him he is definitely missed.

Doc

0 Kudos
JPalc
Beginner
Strangely enough, I do have a line to Craig. Yes, he's retired, but he sits on a lot of non-profit boards. He is surely a character. Joe Palca NPR Science Correspondent 202-513-2776
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Tell him a lot of us (customers, employees) miss him and his leadership.

Doc

0 Kudos