Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Why does my Windows crash with my new NVMe SSD after I install the Intel Graphics Driver?

BNR00
Beginner

After I install my GPU driver my Windows crashes and keeps crashing when I logon to the desktop.

This only happens if I install the Windows on my NVMe SSD M.2 2280 x4 Gigabyte drive and install the GPU(Intel HD Graphics 530) driver.

Storage: NVMe SSD M.2 2280 x4 Gigabyte Express 256 GB -> GP-GSM2NE3256GNTD.

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530.

If I stop Windows from auto installing the driver the crash doesn't happen and everything works fine.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
BNR00
Beginner

This is from my SSD where the crash happens: The gpu driver is not installed currently because I can't use my laptop after if its installed... every time I start it I get to the desktop and I move my cursor for like 1-2 sec and everything freezes and crashes again. (BSOD).

0 Kudos
BNR00
Beginner

Here is another scan from my HDD Windows with all the drivers installed.

0 Kudos
BNR00
Beginner

It turns out it wasn't the Intel GPU that caused the issue it was the dedicated NVIDIA - I disabled the GPU from device manager in Windows Safe Mode and now I use my laptop only with the Intel GPU. I tried the older Nvidia driver from Acer and also the latest from Nvidia but it would still crash after the driver install. Its ok for me with the Intel because I don't use this laptop for gaming only for work. Looks like this SSD doesn't like my dual GPU laptop for some reason. At least now is working without any crash 🙂

I also got a more detailed answer from NVIDIA:

"Your GPU is on a 8x link, as the norm for most laptops

The slot you installed the nvme to is tyically on the chipset and provides 1x under normal circumstances.

Since M keyed slots require 2 or 4x links, it is obtaining its other data lanes via pcie switching and taking them away from the GPU.

Only B+M keyed 2x m2's work in this notebook."

- basically if I understand correctly my laptop doesn't have the resources to sustain both these devices at the same time. This is why everything is working fine if I disable one of them

0 Kudos