Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Why my Intel HD 4000 graphics driver is causing screen flickering?

JMuco
Beginner

Hello, I have some problems with my Intel graphics drivers on my laptop. My Intel HD 4000 graphics is causing screen flickering. Every time I update the drive on Windows 10 it starts causing it but when I uninstall it, it is really fine like nothing happened. The same issue I have even on my other OS, Ubuntu 20.04.

The flickering started when, on an older version of Ubuntu(18.04) I started screen recorder. After that, the screen was always flickering. Also my laptop was in the repair shop a month ago and the person who was repairing it, said that it damaged a part of the processor.

I want to know why is this happening and how can I fix this(if it possible)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

"the person who was repairing it, said that it damaged a part of the processor."

If you uninstall the driver, and the flickering is gone, the processor is fine.

If the flickering happens on both Windows and Ubuntu, I would suspect something is wrong with your laptop.

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Since you appear to be dual-booting, have you tested without the dual boot?

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

The Result of Utility:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC(10.0.17763 Build 17763) Physical Memory (Installed): 8 GB Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz System Type: x64-based PC Total Installed Updates: 19 Updates - See Detailed View for more information System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard System Model: 17AB Network Adapter(s): Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) 10.0.17763.1 Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection 12.15.22.6 Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 15.16.0.2 Disk(s): TOSHIBA MQ01ACF032 ATA Device 9.45 GB (available) 10.0.17763.1

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That is only a piece of the output. Save the complete output in a text file and attach the file.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

Here is the info I got from SSU.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

First, you need to upgrade from 1809 to 1909. 1809 was the release that should never have happened.

Upgrade to 1909 and report back.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

I don't have new updates on my Windows so I can't upgrade fast to the 1909 but I will try my best to do so. I will update you in the future minutes.

EDIT:

I have actually proceeded to downloading the ISO and it is gonna take 2 hours. I couldn't found any faster way so the next report will be in the next 2 hours.

Jugert

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, you can easily update from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just do the November 2019 update.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

Yeah, I know but I couldn't do it as the program said that it was something wrong with my previous Windows. But I managed to install the latest windows version.

And still the same issue, I was installing Windows and even not starting up very well yet, it started flickering. Another weird thing that is happening is that my screen looks like going off and on. I experienced this while writing this reply.

Jugert

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Let us assume for the moment that it is the processor. What do you want to do? The processor and laptop are long out of warranty.

If you want to keep the laptop, have it repaired by a reputable service shop. Otherwise, get new hardware.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

well if the processor is to blame, I can't do anything really.... since I can't afford it a new one. Though I thought there might be a solution because without the driver it works fine but installing/updating the driver makes the screen go distorted.

Is there anything else we can do to fix this?

Jugert

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your processor might be, or might not be, removable. If it is not removable, then there is nothing that can be done.

If it is removable, you can find a replacement on that auction site for as little as $15US.

However, I suspect something else is the problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

I understand. Though I can add another thing. The same guy on the repair shop told me that even some other chips were damaged and what it was a spilled beer on the keyboard that did the damage. This is why I sent in repair shop.

If there are any software related suspects then feel free to discuss it, if it is hardware suspects then I will just call the repair shop.

Thank you for everything, Jugert.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Pity, sounds like an awful waste of beer<G>

Seriously, if the spill was contained by the keyboard, that is also easily replaceable. If the spill went beyond the keyboard, then who knows what could have happened.

But, we are just speculating. Try a different repair shop, or look for a replacement motherboard on that auction site.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

Hahaha yeah, the beer went beyond the keyboard and what the guy said, it damaged some chips and a part of the processor and also what did beer did, was deleting some information from my motherboard. As SKU Family ID, Motherboard ID and some other IDs. It pop ups on my screen every time I boot that "These information are missing or incorrectly set." something like that. I don't remember it.

Yes, I will try to look into another repair shop or consider the auction site.

Thank You Very Much for trying to solve the problem, I really appreciate it a lot!

Jugert

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If the beer did that much damage, and you really want to keep the laptop, look for a motherboard EXACT replacement on the auction site. And, if you can get it with the processor, all the better.

I still have my doubts, since you say the graphics work ok without the Intel driver, but who knows what might have been damaged. Do you know if the repair shop updated the bios?

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

I think they may have updated the BIOS because when the beer was spilled the laptop wasn't shut down in the first place and the second is that when I left it one day without touching it booted fine. Except that it showed me the screen of missing IDs and after it a countdown screen and after that the boot menu and OS started fine.

Weird I can tell that I only couldn't connect to the internet. Proceeding to solve myself the issue of missing IDs, I tried to make a reset of BIOS because I thought it would fix it but it was the same. Not saying worst, because later on, even if I powered on the laptop, it was just black screen and I couldn't do anything. So this is when I sent it to repair shop and after 1 month I got it back.

Jugert

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

provide a photo or two of these "missing ids".

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

Okay, here they are:

missing.jpg

Jugert

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Wow, I am wondering if the repair shop incorrectly set this up, or used some bios chip that they should not have. I am not even sure your board/bios supports your processor. Are you certain the current processor model number is the same as you had before the problem(s)? I suppose this damage could have been caused by a spill, but I think it unlikely.

Provide the complete model number of your laptop.

At this point, I am not sure anything can be done except a board replacement (which may not be practical.

I would like to get an opinion from @n.scott.pearson​ as well.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

" Are you certain the current processor model number is the same as you had before the problem(s)?", well when I do on command prompt "WMIC BIOS GET SERIALNUMBER" i don't get nothing, it is blank. Also some other info remain blank when I do another command on Ubuntu terminal, which now I'm unable to boot because Windows 10 won't let me and I guess it would take time until I find the solution. Unfortunately I have never had problems of these types before so I don't really know what the ID was before this happened.

Here are some informantion about my laptop if these can help:

id.jpg

Also my laptop is HP ProBook 6570b which I can find this on the screen panel.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try and contact the mister.

Jugert

0 Kudos