Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Why won't Intel open source the old atom graphics driver?

GKnig1
Beginner

If Intel won't support their customers with Win10 graphics drivers for Atom computers a few years old, why won't they Open Source the code so a third party could write one. It can't be that difficult, the Microsoft general purpose driver is stable but lacks resolution settings.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) is the graphic driver architecture for Graphics running Microsoft Windows versions and this microcode is not compatible with Legacy processor and Windows® 10.

GKnig1
Beginner

So what about modifying the code that was compatible with legacy processor (on sale only a few years ago), or provide a compatible simple driver. Microsoft have done it, are they better than Intel? I'm sure there would be skills in the open community to do this. It seems that the intention all along was to write off thousands (millions?) of relatively new laptops so Intel can sell some more. Well my next one won't have Intel inside.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Because GMA 500 hardware and successors was licensed from PowerVR, and Intel have no rights to open their IPs.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

there is a Linux driver for the gma GPU so the licence is not the problem also most powervr mobile phone GPUs are open source also

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Some GMAs are Intel-developed and have open-source driver, but Atom`s companions - not. There is an open source kernel driver for some PowerVR GPUs, but its needs also a binary firmware (that loads into GPU at driver start) and libraries. Linux drivers available imply that you somehow extract binary part from, like, end device with vendor-supplied OS and drivers (usually Android tablet) and got a copy of SDK from one of PowerVR licensees with not-free, not-to-distribute agreement.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Good contribution from JFFulcrum.

0 Kudos