Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Wii U emulator, Cemu, hangs when the GPU tries to sync with the CPU

hachinado
Novice

Specs:

• Intel HD 620
  • Windows 10, 1903.

How to reproduce the error:

1. Update the Intel GPU driver to the latest version (26.20.100.6890)

2. Download latest Cemu version at http://cemu.info/

3. Open the game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in Cemu.

a. Select Options > General settings, switch to Graphics tab. Tick Full sync at GX2DrawDone() (this is an option to force the GPU to be in sync with the CPU).

Result: after choosing New Game (or Continue and choose a save), the screen will hang (freeze).

b. If Full sync at GX2DrawDone() is off (not ticked), after choosing New Game (or Continue and choose a save), the screen freeze like a screenshot but you can hear the in-game sounds.

The issue persists since 25.xx

Workarounds: downgrade the Intel GPU driver version to 24.20.100.6286. There might be some problems with newer Intel driver version, starting from 25.xx.

I attached a DOCX file in this question.

17 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with all of the details, I will attempt to test this on-site; however, keep in mind that I may take some time. I will be getting back to you as soon as possible. 

If possible, please provide me with a DxDiag, refer to the steps below:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).
  4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
hachinado
Novice

Here's my dxdiag.txt

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

Thank you for your response.

I will proceed with the testings on-site. Please allow me some time and I will get back to you as soon as I have the results.

Regards,

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

Thank you for your patience.

We are still working on this, my apologies for the delay, I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
hachinado
Novice

As long as you guys tested the new driver version carefully before releasing to the public, I am completely fine to wait.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello hachinado,

Thank you very much for your time.

We're still working on this. We are going to be posting as soon as possible with the outcome.

Regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

I was trying to test this on-site but I was unable to get the game needed to test, my apologies.

If possible, please provide me with a link or source to get the game the way you did so I can continue with the testings.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
hachinado
Novice
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

I will attempt to download the game and try testing this to see if the issue happens as well. Allow me some time and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V

hachinado
Novice

Thank you for your response. I'll wait for the results.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

We are still working on your case, we will update you the outcomes as soon as possible.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

I have not been able to fully replicate this issue, I apologize for the long delay this has taken; however, there has been a new driver released so I would like to know if you have tried testing the issue with this driver. Please refer to the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28888/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=96551

If so, please let me know, I will continue trying to replicate this issue in the meantime.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
hachinado
Novice
0 Kudos
hachinado
Novice

Unfortunately, the issue persists even on latest driver (26.20.100.6912 as of now).

This error is easy to replicate in my opinion, and it happens on every DCH Intel GPUs version. Using latest Cemu version, (latest) DCH driver version, use Full Sync at GX2DrawDone() in Graphics tab in Cemu general settings, load the game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, start a new game. The game then freezes - you will notice that the FPS in the titlebar is not working.

Easier ways to do:

1. The game link
  2. Extract Zelda BOTW Files to any folder you want. Open Cemu, go to Options > General settings. Under Game paths, click Add button and choose Zelda BOTW Files folder. Then close the setting window.
  3. Extract the file The Legend of Zelda BotW Update 1 5 0 v208 USA found in the Zelda BOTW Files folder.
  4. Go back Cemu, go to Files > Install game update or DLC. Go to The Legend of Zelda BotW Update 1 5 0 v208 USA > meta > meta.xml. Cemu will install the update.
  5. Ignore BOTW DLC v80 (3 0) USA 9400 unpacked file
  6. Before opening the game, you need to config the input first. Download my config here. Create controllerProfiles folder in your Cemu folder, then copy my txt file into there. go to Options > Input settings, choose test from the Profiles drop-down menu. Then click Load. Remember how keys are pressed, then close the window.
  7. Now you can load the game from the game list screen and test it.
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

I understand, I will continue with the testing and get back to you as soon as possible. I apologize for the delay.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
hachinado
Novice

@DavidV_Intel​ 

I hope you didn't forget this:

Workarounds: downgrade the Intel GPU driver version to 24.20.100.6286. There might be some problems with newer Intel driver version, starting from 25.xx.

from my post. It's the latest [Legacy] driver before DCH version that I can find. The Cemu homepage about iGPUs is outdated, because the emulator is working for other games (other than Breath of the Wild) - the emulator currently uses OpenGL backend. This issue only happens if you upgrade to DCH version, like I have mentioned before your reply. It's a regression because older Intel drivers work for Cemu (specially for BOTW) but not new ones (DCH). That's why your answer does not satisfy me. I hope you can reconsider this.

I'd love to downgrade, but doing so will also downgrade Vulkan since it works best on latest driver. I think the issue only affects OpenGL.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello hachinado,

I would like to let you know that we have tested the emulator software with certified and approved content. There has been no issues; however, I am unable to test this with the game you have mentioned because the game is not officially provided by the developer (Nintendo). Please contact them directly for support and/or request them to provide us with an official .iso.  

I have been testing the emulator and there are no issues observed with official software emulated on it. 

You can also wait to see if other community peers can assist you with this, perhaps they have been able to replicate the issue with the official .iso provided by the developer. 

David V

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos