Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Will UHD Graphics 630 Power 4k Laptop Screen Plus 4k External Monitor?

RobM
Beginner

Hi,

I'm about to buy a workstation laptop with Intel's Core™ i9-10885H vPro™ processor, and 64 GB of RAM and UHD 630 graphics (with no other graphics card).

Is the UHD Graphics 630 enough to power my 4k laptop screen plus one 4k external Monitor without problems?

I'm running a real-time updating stock quote/chart program (a Bloomberg terminal), Excel, Word and a few browser windows only.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the graphics driver will automatically and dynamically reserve whatever is necessary (up to half of the memory available to Windows) to meet the demand. Including as much memory as possible is the key thing. 64GB sounds good.

Remember that, to use a 4K@60Hz external monitor, it is important to have either a laptop that provides,

1. A USB-C port (with or without Thunderbolt 3 support) that supports DisplayPort (DP) Alt. Mode, You would use a 4K DP monitor or, with a capable DP-to-HDMI adapter, a 4k HDMI 2.0 monitor.
  2. A HDMI 2.0 port (i.e. the laptop includes a LSPcon IC that will convert the processor's DP 1.2 output signal into HDMI 2.0.

These days, the former is becoming the prevalent solution. Many of the hubs and dock available take care of the DP-to-HDMI conversion and a separate adapter is not necessary.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Technically, it is spec'ed to support as many as three 4K monitors. I personally think that it struggles to support two. Whether it will support your needs will depend on the data rates that this Bloomberg terminal software requires.
...S
0 Kudos
RobM
Beginner
Thanks Scott,
My Bloomberg has five charts updating every second and about 50 quotes that change in real time.
Would it help if I added allocated more RAM to the Intel graphics? I have 64 GB of RAM to play with on my system.
Cheers

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the graphics driver will automatically and dynamically reserve whatever is necessary (up to half of the memory available to Windows) to meet the demand. Including as much memory as possible is the key thing. 64GB sounds good.

Remember that, to use a 4K@60Hz external monitor, it is important to have either a laptop that provides,

1. A USB-C port (with or without Thunderbolt 3 support) that supports DisplayPort (DP) Alt. Mode, You would use a 4K DP monitor or, with a capable DP-to-HDMI adapter, a 4k HDMI 2.0 monitor.
  2. A HDMI 2.0 port (i.e. the laptop includes a LSPcon IC that will convert the processor's DP 1.2 output signal into HDMI 2.0.

These days, the former is becoming the prevalent solution. Many of the hubs and dock available take care of the DP-to-HDMI conversion and a separate adapter is not necessary.

...S

0 Kudos