Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20624 Discussions

Win8 CP, GMA 3600 Drivers crashing under metro

idata
Employee

Hi Guys,

I am using a toshiba WT200 that has an intel GMA3600 video chipset. When you launch metro apps, the sys file from the driver causes a BSOD. I have tried this microsoft OLE fix, but to no avail (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/b0e4f9a3-4c96-4e6f-9399-71fc5813853c Metro apps won&# 39;t start under consumer preview of Windows 8 )

Is there a beta driver suitable for this device coming, that will alleviate this issue?

Thanks, Chris

242 Replies
idata
Employee

All righty -- I'm running Windows 8 x32 RTM now, fully activated. I tried to install the driver for the Samsung Series 5 tablet, and it's still a no go for me and my GMA3600-equipped Fujitsu Q552. I'm still getting the following error message: "this driver is not compatible with this version of Windows."

Hoo boy -- I guess I'll have to search through the 48125.INF in the Samsung package and compare it with the igdlh.INF in the Intel GMA 3600 Driver for Windows 7, as well as the Win 7 driver Fujitsu offers for the Q552. I'm guessing the Acer W510 version won't be any different from the Samsung one...

Thank you TechFans -- I downloaded the certificate installer and will attempt to dig deeper; any other ideas in the meantime?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There are 3 versions of Windos 8: windows8 RT, windows8 Pro, and windows 8, they all request different hardware support. For example, windows8 pro request the minimum resolution is 1366x768, but windows8 just need a resolution with 1024x768. Furthermore, windows 8 will be release in the next year. We still not sure whether this driver can be installed on winodws 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jacob, I cannot understand the issue about the resolution, I had installed the whole versions for testing of W8 (x86 & x64) and the whole of them run with the same resolution, there is no difference. Now I have the W8 PRO x86 purchased, and I still on 1024x768. No drivers found yet. My device is a chinesse C91 with GMA3600.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That just is my conjecture... ; )

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

TechFans2012 wrote:

Hey PA. Well I hope it works, I think it will be a bit more involved than that.

Since technically this is for 2 different hardware (per hardware ID), editing INF alone probably won't do it. The driver pack is certified (with a digital signature) to match to hardware id, so you need to digitally signed it with a correct signature that matches our hardware ID. (My description may not be 100% correct, but this is the general idea)

look at this discuss post # 2. see the certificate installer and learn a bit more. basically the guy tried to do the same for GMA 500 (using new GMA 600 driver) as we want for GMA 3600

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/7793-gma600-400mhz-driver-port-gma500-200mhz.html GMA600(400MHZ) driver port GMA500(200MHZ) ?

Yeah I think you're right, we've probably got the same situation with the GMA 500 & GMA 600 drivers, despite them being based on the same GPU (albeit different clockspeeds)

I don't think modding the INF is going to work for these Samsung .1087 drivers, we'll have to wait and see what else turns up and try again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Understood -- I noticed that another user of a Fujitsu tablet started a topic on the Eight forums -- hopefully more people will jump on board...

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/10972-intel-gma3600-metro-crashing-windows-8-any-solutions-out-there.html Intel GMA3600 - Metro Crashing in Windows 8: Any Solutions Out There?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think you're right -- gotta wait for other options. I'm definitely concerned that things won't get any better, especially when Asus stated that it didn't think Intel would support the GMA 3600 under Cedar trail for Windows 8. I wish one person from Intel could read this thread...

In the meantime, I uninstalled every Metro app. I'll miss those live tiles -- would be nice if I could get one working with Outlook, at least. I even disabled the Windows store, which won't work with the GMA 3600 either!

http://www.howtogeek.com/111933/how-to-disable-the-windows-store-in-windows-8/ http://www.howtogeek.com/111933/how-to-disable-the-windows-store-in-windows-8/

After installing the original (Win 7) GMA 3600 driver, I noticed a drop in performance in Power Saver mode -- some things like IE10 were still fine, but even double-tapping the screen with my finger or the digitizer stylus to select my C drive would simply not register. Balanced mode works fine, though -- but things are definitely a bit choppier than the Basic Microsoft Display Adapter. Maybe I'll tweak the graphics performance under power saver mode -- it's odd that I'll need to download and install .NET 3.5 just to access the Intel Graphics Control panel...

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Yeah the current Windows 7 drivers really are terrible in the fact that we can't even use them as an interim solution to Windows 8 as the bugginess just completely borks any real usability.

Only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter offers any decent usability, but obviously the resolution support is highly limited. It really is just a nasty situation where all Cedar Trail owners have been basically given the shaft from Intel, without even any kind of explanation or courtesy, and releasing Clover Trail with the same PowerVR SGX545 GPU and with Windows 8 support is just rubbing salt into the wounds.

Could you imagine Nvidia or AMD pulling this kind of stunt with their IGP's?, heck even VIA who sell about 10 motherboards a year have a working (kinda) Windows 8 driver for their hardware...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have posted a question at Microsoft asking why the upgrade assistant does not red flag GMA3600 chipsets during the upgrade process. If other people have the same question then head on over to the site.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/why-does-the-windows-8-upgrade-assistant-not/276798c6-7746-4cf6-bcec-a11235aad7d0 Why does the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant not detect Intel GMA3600 - Microsoft Community

This is a known issue as several hardware vendors have confirmed. According to the Intel website unless your graphics chipset starts with HD your not getting Windows 8 drivers.

I have lost all faith in buying PC hardware as my device was purchased just a few months ago and I expected to be able to upgrade it to Windows 8.

The looser here is Microsoft as if I switch to Apple I will still be buying Intel chips, at least I known I will have several years support of being able to run the latest OS. Imagine buying an Apple device in August and being told in October that my hardware was no longer going to receive updates to allow it to run the next OS!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's absolutely a good news! But i can not install this driver in Windows 8 Release Preview version either, may someone can try it in formal version which microsoft just released yesterday.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you! I'll certainly try over the weekend and will follow up. I was using the Enterprise 90-day trial when my first attempt didn't work...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aaron's petition that now includes GMA 36xx chips:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gma600/ Windows 8 support for Intel Atom Tablets

This is very unacceptable, especially for GMA 3600 chips since we know the chip is capable of running Windows 8 because the Clovertrail basically uses the same GPU with higher clock frequency. Sounds like we "have to" buy Clovertrail from Intel is trying to do.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just to clarify, I was not the one who started the petition, I have just been very vocal regarding the state of drivers for GMA products from Intel and reposting the link. Further, the GMA 3600 was always on that list, though until recently, the GMA 3600 was slated to get Windows 8 drivers.

Pretty much one nice push on the GMA 600 or 3600 drivers would provide Intel with all of the heavy lifting necessary to support from the GMA 500 to 3650 PowerVR based GPUs under Windows 8 with minimal additional effort.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And Significantly increase number of Windows 8 tablet that is on X86 platform which is rapidly poached by the ARM chips

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

TechFans2012 wrote:

And Significantly increase number of Windows 8 tablet that is on X86 platform which is rapidly poached by the ARM chips

I think they've already missed that boat pulling stunts like this, no wonder Microsoft burned them in favour of ARM at the low end.

Something like a Tegra 3 isn't exactly a speed demon CPU wise, but you can bet it's got a decent graphics driver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Regarding those drivers from Samsung ATIV 500T - on website it is described as x86 version, but I looked into .inf, and, it is marked for Windows x64.

I have Atom board D2700DC with W8x86. I will remove all mentions of "NTamd64" and try installation later today

UPDATE: installed, but display went black (without crashing computer). I connected to this pc via RDP and rolled drivers back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interesting -- I remember that when I tested an early modified driver for a colleague's Fujitsu UH900, the brightness was somehow reduced to zero, and it stayed that way from the 0-30 range in Windows 7. Could there be a similar issue here? I'm guessing not, since you're using a desktop board.

Maybe I should give it a shot with Fujitsu's Q552?

Edit: Whoops -- I must not be editing the files correctly; I couldn't get the driver to install, even after removing the NTamd64 occurrences in the INF...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In addition to removing NTAMD64 (2 occurences) I replaced DEVID with my own (taken from device manager)

and enabled test signing as described here http://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-install-legacy-intel-hd-graphics-drivers-on-windows-8 http://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-install-legacy-intel-hd-graphics-drivers-on-windows-8

(command prompt as admin)

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

(reboot after this)

Here is how I edited inf

-------------------------------------

%KMDName% = KMD.Mfg, NTamd64 <--DELETE", NTamd64"!!!!!

[KMD.Mfg]

"Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator"= generic32_VEN_8086&DEV_08CF, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08CF&SUBSYS_C0D6144D <--MYOWNDEVIDHERE!!!!

[KMD.Mfg.NTamd64 <--DELETE".NTamd64"!!!!! ]

my own device was PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08BE&.....

so I also did find/replace, changing 08CF to 08BE in entire file

After those changes, I just run setup.exe and installer works all the way

EDIT: added dropbox link to inf that I created for my board as example

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5jpv0tyhkoy3i8/48915.inf Dropbox - 48915.inf - Simplify your life

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

solnyshok, good work! i will try it on my end and see what I get.

so close, so far away

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

solnyshok wrote:

Regarding those drivers from Samsung ATIV 500T - on website it is described as x86 version, but I looked into .inf, and, it is marked for Windows x64.

I have Atom board D2700DC with W8x86. I will remove all mentions of "NTamd64" and try installation later today

UPDATE: installed, but display went black (without crashing computer). I connected to this pc via RDP and rolled drivers back.

Yeah I noticed that too, but I'm pretty sure they are x86 drivers as I've already tried then on Win8 x64 and they definitely aren't recognised, even after playing about with the INF unfortunately.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks Solnyshok, I followed your procedure finally I installed the driver ( you have to insert also the subsys info)

then it worked I checked in driver details in control panel .

intel graphics panel do not work I put the win 7 app and it seems fine with a bug,

https://rapidshare.com/files/2839800166/Patched%200BE2%20Internal_VGA_Intel_9.14.3.1087.zip https://rapidshare.com/files/2839800166/Patched%200BE2%20Internal_VGA_Intel_9.14.3.1087.zip

this my patched version for my GMA 3600 dev 0BE2 ,if you have another change the line in the inf file,

actually it works resolution on my laptop but crshes using store , you can note it is better but not enough to support metro apps i think we have to work around a ittle more

INTEL must help , it is a honor code obligation !!

0 Kudos