Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Windows 10 2004 Miracast - Intel WiDi on Toshiba 46TL968G-TV

Georg
Beginner

Hello,

first of all, I hope this is the right place for my question about connecting my notebook with my TV using Miracast/Intel Widi.

I have a Dell Latitude E5450 notebook with the following components:

Grapfic adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500; driver version: 20.19.15.5126; according to Windows dxdiag, Miracast is available, with HDCP

WLAN adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, driver version: 19.51.30.1

My TV is a Toshiba 46TL968G with the latest firmware as of 2013... This TV has a Intel WiDi-mode included.

If I try to connect them, everything works fine including the 8-digit code that I have to type in. After that, sometimes a connection is established, sometimes it is not. I can't find a reason for that.

But the real issue is the following: If the devices connect, the TV screen remains black, so there is nothing visible on the TV. However, sound is tranferred successfully. The TV screen remains black, but sound is available on the TV.

Can anyone of you give my a hint, how I can solve that? Are the devices not compatible? (It worked fine with my old notebook, running Windows 8.1 and Intel WiDi app.) Is it maybe related to the screen solution (both devices support Full HD). Or do I have to buy a Miracast receiver and connect it to one of the TV's HDMI ports to make it work?

Many thanks for your support and hints!!!
Georg

P.S. Please let me know, if you need any furthr information about hard- or software components!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

WiDi was discontinued many years ago (2017) and is no longer supported. I believe it was discontinued as part of Intel's commitment to the industry-wide Miracast effort.

Miracast support is a Windows 10 feature. Contact Microsoft for help with this feature. Contact your TV vendor for information and help with their device's support for Miracast.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Georg

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The information provided by n_scott_pearson is correct. Intel has discontinued marketing and development for Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) and Intel® Pro Wireless Display (Intel® Pro WiDi) applications. Since Intel no longer provides support for these applications, the recommendation is to contact Microsoft® Support.

For more information please refer to the Product Discontinuation Notice for Intel® WiDi and Intel® Pro WiDi:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021693/emerging-technologies.html

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end and this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel; however, communications with community peers may continue.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Georg
Beginner

Thank you all! I am not sure to what extent Miracast and WiDi are compatible. I found statements on the internet, that Miracast is more or less a different name for WiDi. Both seem to have a lot in common, from a technical point of view. But obviously, they do not have enough in common  not enough to work. That's a pity. Thank you for your commets! Btw, I bought a HDMI-cable in the meantime - and it works.

Best regards,

Georg

0 Kudos