Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Windows 10 - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - Black Screen Error - Integrated Display is 'not active' and 'cannot be detected'

MBoom1
Beginner

Hi,

After installing Intel UHD Graphics 630 on my MSI Notebook, I get black screen on my integrated display.

1. I can connect an external second Display via HDMI port (which works also using Intel UHD Graphics 630).
  2. If I try to detect 'multiple displays' under Windows Display Settings, only the external Display is detected and I get the message that Windows is not able to detect further Displays. The integrated monitor (1) is not 'active' and cannot be activated
  3. If I disable Intel UHD Graphics 630 in Device Manager, both Displays are recognised and work.
  4. If I uninstall Intel UHD Graphics 630 using Device Manager, and install Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, both Displays work.
  5. I get the same Symptoms ( black screen) when installing UHD Graphics 630 by using DSA.

Configuration:

Windows Home 10.0.18363 (incl all 2019 updates)

Computer: MSI Stealth GS65 Thin 8RE

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU@ 2.20GHz

Graphicmemory: 8113MB, 4095 MB

Graphic Drivers:

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (latest Version - causing the black screen)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (works well)

What can I do? any help most welcome

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Go back to the MSI provided graphics driver.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Al is correct; for laptops, use only drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer.

...S

0 Kudos
MBoom1
Beginner

Thanks - Intel UHD Graphics 630 is the MSI provided graphics driver (provided in their download Center for model MSI Stealth GS65 Thin 8RE).

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Since you have dual graphics, you must use BOTH drivers from MSI. If you still have the problem after installing BOTH MSI drivers, contact MSI for support of THEIR laptop and the drivers they provided (and tested) with.

Doc

0 Kudos
MBoom1
Beginner

Many thanks for all help !

I just updated the BIOS using the latest Version from the MSI download Center.

Problem is resolved! I am now able to activate the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 Driver without getting a black screen!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Still, for your graphics to work properly, they have been customized to provide the correct switching. This is why you need to use both the intel and nvidia drivers from MSI.

Doc

0 Kudos
Lewis-H
New Contributor I

The first thing you can try is Safe Mode in Windows 10. Obviously, it was a graphics card problem and safe mode loads with minimal graphics drivers. If you can get into Safe Mode, then you can try and download some different drivers and see if that fixes the problem. First, though, you should use a program like Display Driver uninstaller to remove all graphics drivers from your system. The other thing you can try is to disable Intel HD Graphics and then try to boot Windows 10. This has fixed the problem for some people. You can do this by clicking on Start and typing in device manager.

Now expand Display Adapters and then right-click on Intel HD Graphics and choose Disable.

If you have had this problem and figured out a different way to fix it or found a set of drivers that work for your machine, post a comment and let everyone know. Enjoy!

--

Lewis

0 Kudos
ICher13
Beginner

I've had the same issue on my new Lenovo 340 laptop (Intel 630 + Geforce 1650). Since the problem appeared, it reproduced with any version of Intel drivers.

Instead, increasing the brightness helped. Seems that Intel driver resets brightness to zero somehow.

When you see the black screen after boot, try increasing brightness with laptop hotkey or display button. Maybe it will help you as it helped me.

0 Kudos