Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Windows 10 Pro with UHD 630 Won't Allow 4k Selection

GBENN9
Beginner

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 3471 with UHD 630 graphics. Out of the box I was able to select and display 4k on my 4k monitor with no issues. I upgraded the built-in 1TB HD with a brand new 2TB SSD and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro. Now, with the exact same monitor and HDMI cable, I am unable to select 4k resolution. I've updated all drivers directly from Dell with no joy. I've installed and run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, which updated the graphics driver to the latest, still with no joy. Running the Intel Graphics Command Center, I see that all resolutions up to 3840 x 2160 (60p Hz) are supported under the Display\Information tab, yet under the Display\General tab the highest resolution available is 1920 x 1080 (recommended). Multiple reboots yield no results. I've attempted to add a custom resolution from the Display\General tab, manually entering 3840 x 2160, 60 Hz, 0% Underscan, but each time I apply those settings I get the following error: "Error Occurred. Unable to add settings. Reason: Mode not supported."

I'm at a complete loss and cannot understand why the built-in Windows 10 Pro OS from Dell allowed the selection of 4k resolution out of the box, but my fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on a new SSD does not support this selection.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I had this happen to me in quite a similar way. It turned out that I somehow damaged the HDMI cable either when removing it to work on the box or when I put it back together. You could try replacing the HDMI cable and see if the same thing happened to you. Remember the rules for cables, (1) If it came with the monitor, it is crap, so discard it and (2) you get what you pay for; you get crap otherwise. Yea, I know; I do have to work on my negativity...

....S

0 Kudos
GBENN9
Beginner

LOL! Thanks for the advice, @n.scott.pearson​ . I tried another high-speed HDMI cable with the same non-results. appreciate the idea, though....

g

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello GBENN9,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

We would like to gain a better understanding of the behavior reported.

• Please provide the Intel® Graphics Command Center report by going to Intel® HD graphics control panel> Options and Support> Save. 
  • Check for Windows pending updates.
  • Please provide us with the Intel® System Support Utility logs by following the next steps: 
  1. Download the software. 
  2. When finished downloading it, open it. 
  3. Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan. 
  4. When finish scanning, click "Next." 
  5. Click on Save and attach the file to your post.  

Feel free to reply at your earliest convenience.  

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello GBENN9,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance.  

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello GBENN9,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you for contacting Intel. 

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos