Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Windows 10 and Intel HD 4000: VGA not working

skron
Beginner

Hello,

a few weeks ago I upgraded my Thinkpad T530 to Windows 10 (it was a clean installation from scratch), but I never got the VGA port working.

The notebook has a Core i7-3630 QM (with a HD 4000 GPU) and an additional Nvidia NVS 5400m. I tried several different driver combinations (the one Windows update provides, the one Lenovo offers, and also different from the intel downloadcenter directly), but even with the Nvidia card deactivated in the BIOS, the VGA port does not work.

First of all the Intel graphics configuration tool does not recognize a monitor attached, I con only activate it using [Win]+P, after that the configuration tool shows a new, generic "monitor" (not even the brand of the monitor is detected) and the only working configuration is cloning with a resolution of 1024*768. No other mode is working, either it is not possible to switch to it in the first place, or it is only active for few seconds, then all screens become black and a few seconds later everything starts over again.

When I only use the Nvidia card (with the appropriate Bios setting), the VGA works fine.

On Windows 8.1 I did not have any problems with the driver provided in the Intel downloadcenter.

Does somebody has similar problems? And (hopefully) a fix for them?

Best regards,

Stefan

PS:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

The VGA port is not working correctly (e.g. use a external monitor as the only display via VGA is not possible)

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Thinkpad T530

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Nvidia NVS 5400m avaiable, but problem also exists with only the Intel HD 4000 activated (when the Nvidia card is disbaled in the Bios)

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) 

External 24" 1920*1200 (tested with a Dell and a HP monitor)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 bel...

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Please test the following driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25313/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-3rd-Gen-BYT- Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 7*, 8.1*, 10 (3rd Gen & BYT)

0 Kudos
skron
Beginner

Using this driver doesn't change anything. The problems remain.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Something else to check.

Using VGA Straight connection.

Updating the BIOS.

0 Kudos
skron
Beginner

I already updated the bios a few weeks ago (the most up-to-date version is 2.64 from 31.03.2015).

What do you mean with "using VGA Straight connection"?

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

I mean to use a VGA cable with no adaptors

0 Kudos
skron
Beginner

Ah, I see. But this is the only way I use VGA. No adapters or anything other in between. Just a VGA cable at the VGA port of the notebook directly to the VGA port of a 24" display or a projector.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

How do you have this projector / display conected to the laptop?

0 Kudos
skron
Beginner

By using a single, standard (1m - 1.5m) VGA cable.

And both the cables and displays do work properly with other notebooks, or the nvidia GPU activated (and the intel GPU deactivated) in the same notebook.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Can you send me a screenshot or photo from the video options in BIOS?

0 Kudos
skron
Beginner

Here is a picture of the available display options in bios.

Using this settings, everything worked fine for roughly 10 minutes, but then the problems came back... (the connection to the monitor was lost, 10 seconds later - without any interaction - it turns on again, but only for another 10 seconds...)

Changing from "Integrated Graphics" to "NVIDIA Optimus" behaves exactly the same way.

Does the Intel driver write any logfile which could be useful for debugging?

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

In this case the way to install drivers when your computer (laptop) has switchable graphics is:

*uninstall the graphics from the system

*install the Intel® graphics from your OEM (Lenovo) web site http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ Home - Lenovo Support (US)

*restart the system

*install the NVIDIA graphics from your OEM (Lenovo) http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ Home - Lenovo Support (US)

*restart the system

You can check the link below and filter by Display and Video Graphics options

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds102364 Windows 10 Beta Drivers - Lenovo Support (US)

0 Kudos
skron
Beginner

I followed your instructions for both the (older) Win10 beta and the current drivers, but it hasn't change anything, the problem still persists.

I also tested a new, clean Win10 installation without any software installed (in a separate disk partition) without success.

Note: For Win8.1 the drivers from the Intel download center worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Did you contact Lenovo Support? due this is a switchable graphics you may need specific support for this matter, we have upgraded the OS in a Lenovo laptop with no issues reported. Did you test the Lenovo drivers?

0 Kudos
skron
Beginner

No I did not contact the lenovo support yet, but it looks like I have to.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos