Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Windows 10 screen goes black after graphics driver update (Intel HD 4400)

AGoud5
Beginner

Hi there!

I have an Acer TravelMate p-256 laptop with this specifications:

Intel® Core™ i5-4210U Processor

4GB Memory

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Recently my windows 10 (1909) has been updated and after a restart, the screen has gone black after Acer logo (while booting up), so windows log-in screen hasn't been displayed but the voices of notification (like plugging a flash memory) prove that windows is working correctly but screen remains black without any display. I've connected it to an external TV by an HDMI cable but it's not showing anything yet.

I tried to reinstall my windows and after that, my screen came back! But exactly after updating the graphics driver, it goes black again. Eventually I installed previous versions of Windows10 and graphics drivers also, but every time it happened and it forced me to turn my Windows to the last restore point before the graphics updating! (I've just used the official versions presented in Intel website)

Now I disabled my windows Auto-update and my laptop is available just for general uses, but without my graphics driver installation I'm not able to even change my screen's brightness!<Never mind about gaming>   

I'm pretty sure that my graphics chip-set is working properly because before installing the driver, I can use any of my windows' utilities or playing videos, but everything comes up through THE GRAPHICS DRIVER!

Thanks in advance...

I'm waiting and seeking for a solution!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello AGoud5

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

After looking into the behavior that you are having you have mentioned that the system works when the system is not using the intel graphics driver installed (that makes me think that you mean that the system is using the Microsoft basic display adapter).

If the black screen is only present the driver is installed this could lead to a hardware issue because once the driver is installed the system would be using the full capacities of the Intel® graphics controller, in your case, since the system is failing to have display with the driver installed what I would think is that the intel graphics controller is presenting issues. At this point, It would be important contacting ACER® the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to test the hardware in the system     

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos