Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000

CDe_T
Novice

Hello,

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 today and I'm running into some issues. When I run GTA 4 (haven't tested any other games to be frank) - which ran fine before the update - it crashes after a while with a BSOD. The error message being:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

This query in Google has led me to the information that the HD Graphics driver is crashing. The next thing I did was installhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=23106 the latest HD Graphics drivers. This has not yet fixed the issue.

What I just noticed while writing this is that Hardware Info 64 does not recognize my Nvidia GPU. This could mean that GTA 4 is running on the HD Graphics GPU? So at this moment I'm reinstalling my Nvidia drivers.

So I reinstalled (clean install) the Nvidia drivers. I ran GTA4 which ran for a little while longer, but still throws a BSOD after a while.

In any case, this should ne be happening, right?

System:

Asus n56vz (notebook)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3615QE (including Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2))

GPU: GeFore GTX 650M

Chipset: Intel HM76 (Panther Point)

Memory: 8192 MB DDR3

129 Replies
idata
Employee

Great Idea. I used the disc that came with my Notebook and i was able to install the drivers from it. Unfortunately it's not version 9.17.10.2817, but version 9.18.10.3165.

So now i have to test if they are working (without the memory leak/BSOD).

0 Kudos
jtosc
Beginner

Seems to be reverting back to older driver is the way to go. I have tried installing older driver from the HP site link above but keep getting error message "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software" anyone know way around it?

I have: i7, 2G Geforce GT 630m, 6GB ram...etc

0 Kudos
lcueb
Beginner

Save yourselves the grief this is a prime example of an "Agile process" gone bad. I've installed, reinstalled, downgraded and upgraded. My issue is specific to running SimCity giving me a "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" what this comes down to is two different companies suffering from bad internal processes.

EA for using an "AGILE process" to deploy its game and not meet the requirements needed to run it's game(s) What it comes down to is they need to present the issues to a product manager who then takes it to developers who put it in what they (WE) call backlogging from there they create a story and determine priority, from there it goes to a sprint and is worked on from 2 -4 weeks by it's developers and in the end it becomes a viable update and is pushed to the users. My issue needs to be taken up with EA. and bumped up in priority, but that will never happen.

As for Intel....if they have a hardware that's not compatible with windows 8.1 then it has to go through the same process as mentioned above that said these types are processes typically sit overseas in india, which now becomes a problem of accountability since in India no one takes ownership of the issue since no one wants to take the blame this will flounder for about 6 months before the issue is transferred back to a U.S. employee or UK employee or some country that if an employee takes a risk they wont be let go and have to live in absolute squabble. In the end this is a fine example of outsourcing gone awry even on a gaming level.

Good luck and don't bother uninstalling and reinstalling....its just a waiting game. Waiting for the risk taking employee to grab the issue and resolve it

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

We are investigating igdkmd64.sys BSOD issue, so, we'll keep you posted on any news on this.

0 Kudos
FHoul
Beginner

Hello there,

If it could be of any help, a friend of mine got a Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520, and he got the exact same issue as previously reported.

We just noted that it arise another issue, playing 3D Games, before the BSOD, saying there's no more memory available for the application... We tried several ATI drivers (as there's an AMD Radeon HD 7xxx integrated on the computer), but the issue still arise.

After trying a lot of drivers updates, from chipset up to audio system, it still happens and it's always the same BSOD arising (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)).

It seem there is a memory leak as well.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
jtosc
Beginner

I found this solution posted by Jan.Bartnik on another post on here. Has worked for me. Played about 4 hours of Bioshock Infinite without any issues and no BSOD so far, were as before I was getting crashes minutes after starting the game. So far so good. Hope this helps  

/message/212410# 212410 74. /message/212410# 212410 Re: Intel(R) Graphics HD 4000 Driver for Windows 8.1 (Not Working Properly)

Jan.Bartnik

1. Right click the old-new start button
  2. Click "Devices Manager"
  3. Go to "Display adapters", right click my Intel HD 4000 and choose "Update Driver Software" (it was marked with exclamation mark in a yellow triangle anyway... so as turned off)
  4. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
  5. and "Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer".
  6. /servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-212410-234079/hd4000.png
  7. Pick the one before May 2013... so in my case 9.17.10.2875
  8. If you don't see one like that download it from your manufacturer's site (not the Intel one as those tend to give errors while installing - that this driver is not for your graphic card. If you have a toshiba laptop like me, go there and to support) and use "Have Disk..." button.
  9. After clicking "Next" it should install and right after a reboot you'll get your dual screen back
0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

Almost a MONTH has gone by and still no fix for this bad driver! You could have written a new driver from scratch in that time. Come on guys, get with it, I'm tired of your bad drivers tuning my computer into a lup which can only play flash games.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Folks, could you please attach the latest dxdiag report from the systems that are still having this BSOD issue? Make sure that you have the latest drivers and BIOS for your respective system before generating this report and posting it here.

Additionally, for the ones that joined this thread lately, if you are running a desktop system with a discrete card, try disabling Virtu as it has been reported by other users to solve the issue.

0 Kudos
CRobe11
Beginner

I'm still having this issue. And I don't have Virtu. Here is my latest dxdiag report.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/obieqhp9mf5wa7l/DxDiag.txt Dropbox - DxDiag.txt

I really hope this issue is fixed soon. It has blue-screened on me three times since updating to Windows 8.1, and the fact that I had no crashed before running Windows 8 makes this rather appalling.

EDIT: After posting this, it has crashed/blue-screened on me 3 more times.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Could you please either uplodad it to this site or copy paste the report here?

Please do not use third party sites to upload reports or information requested.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i know i have a 4400 hd graphics (i5-4200) but the problem is the same one. here is my dxdiag:

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Nimroth, please update your BIOS to the latest version posted at http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers Acer | Download version 2.24

nancee, you issue has been reported on other thread and troubleshooting for it has been provided there. please refer to this thread for the issue you are having

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

Diego,

Here is my Dxdiag report you requested.

I was about to paste my dxdiag report into this reply as like other people, I too had trouble seeing an option to attach files.

Then I saw the link at the very bottom of the form, after the text entry and completely separate from every other control, the Attach Files " notation with a button labeled "Browse" - Very bad GUI design here. The attach file option should be another icon, grouped with upload image and upload video icons in the tool bar.

You do know, I assume, that the dxdiag report will refuse to report on any other video card system ( such as my laptops NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M) and only evaluate the first video card device it finds (the motherboard mounted HD4000 video card) .It is listed with the system devices.

Thanks for responding to out issues, hopefully a solution can be found soon.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Mondenkynd, please provide the information directly on this site, not a third party one.

Me2, basically we check the report to check the entries related to our drivers and the system being used.

For everybody, could you please check using our latest driver here? Be sure to be using the latest BIOS as well:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel®+Core™+Processors+with+Intel®+HD+Graphics+4600 Download Center

0 Kudos
NBrow2
Beginner

I tried to install this:

File name:Win64_15338.zip

Version:

And got Code 43 again

0 Kudos
CWrig2
Beginner

I can confirm that using the older driver revisions meant for Windows 8.0 work well on 8.1. However, I decided to help guinea pig the latest driver. I've ensured that I have the latest BIOS and Nvidia graphics driver also installed for good measure (my laptop uses Optimus).

So far I have gone 24 hours without a BSoD, which is a good sign. However, the previous drivers would sometimes run a graphically intense application for 10+ hours before coming to a halt, so I'll report back in 2 days if the new drivers continue to be stable. For what it's worth, even if a game was using the Nvidia discrete graphics card for hardware acceleration I would still get a BSoD pointing at the Intel HD system file when using the previous driver revisions.

0 Kudos
TVS
Beginner

I have also been having this same BSOD problem while playing Civilization V. I have updated the graphics driver and BIOS. Attached is the DxDiag report. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

ty58527 update the video drivers and the BIOS of your system as it has been already suggested.

0 Kudos
TVS
Beginner

Diego,

I have updated my BIOS to the newest version. However, I am not sure what video driver you want me to update as the Intel Graphics driver is 10.18.10.3316 which my dell website is telling me is the newest. I have uploaded a new DxDiag for you. I tried running Civilization V after the BIOS update and it still gives the same BSOD error. Any help would be appreciated and let me know if there is a different driver I am supposed to update for the video. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CWrig2
Beginner

Okay, it has been three days and the latest driver (Version: 15.33.8.64.3345) has been completely stable after running various games for hours at a time. I have only tried the x64 version due to my OS, but I assume the x86 version will also yield the same success.

@ty58527: Diego_Intel is referring to the drivers he linked near the bottom of the fourth page on this thread. Dell is not providing you the latest drivers as of this time, so you'll need to get them from Intel directly. Based on your dxdiag report, this will be the driver you'll need: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23405&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng Win64_15338.

0 Kudos