Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Windows Update driver 25.20.100.6617 install for Windows 10 Professional (Version 1809) locks up computer. This is for the UHD Graphics 630 video card.

DGlan5
Beginner

On all our Precision 3630 Dell workstations when you run windows update and it automatically installs the 25.20.100.6617 driver (March 8, 2019 date) it immediately locks up the computer. I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver to get it working again and then create a group policy to not allow drivers to update through windows update. I also tried to install the newest driver from your website but it does the same thing.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What version of Windows 10? 1809? 1803? Lower?

Doc

0 Kudos
DGlan5
Beginner

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you reported this issue to Dell? Technically, it is they who should be reporting this to Intel if this is a problem common to their products.

Have you tried installing a newer driver package manually? Versions 25.20.100.6709 is available in the Intel Download Center (here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28731/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126790). Hint: if this works, you can remove that nasty policy entry and let other bad drivers be downloaded.

...S

0 Kudos
DGlan5
Beginner

I'll reach out to Dell and see what they say. I did try the 25.20.100.6709 driver but it too locked up the system.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would be tempted to try installing with secure boot off, or real-time anti-virus off.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Also, I noticed that certain versions of the Precision 3630 come with Radeon Graphics installed. Do your version(s) include Radeon Graphics?

0 Kudos
DGlan5
Beginner

We have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB cards.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, if you have these cards installed, why are you installing the Intel graphics driver at all? Typically, when a graphics card is installed into a desktop/workstation design, the BIOS detects this case and, as a result, completely disables the processor's graphics engine (to avoid the conflicts that will exist). If this was the case, then Intel graphics driver would not have installed at all. It is possible to configure the BIOS to leave the processor graphics engine enabled, so both are available, but this does have consequences (there are hardware conflicts that need to be handled). I suggest that, if you aren't going to use both graphics engines, disable the processor graphics engine.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
DGlan5
Beginner

We use both video cards for dual monitors, one uses HDMI and the Intel uses DVI.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, this would suggest that there is a conflict of some sort between the two engines and their drivers. I have an 8 Series motherboard (Intel Desktop Board) with 4th gen Core i7 processor (HD Graphics 4600) and a GTX 1060 3GB card. I have both engines enabled and monitors connected to both sources. They interoperate just fine; no issues seem to exist.

Did you have issues in any of the previous driver releases? If not, what version(s) were you able to run successfully?

...S

0 Kudos